How many amps does starter pull? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:32 AM Thread Starter

How many amps does starter pull?

Until I can do my T7 stator mod, I'm forced to charge the battery daily and run off it with crossed fingers. Sometimes I run out of power before I get home and need to get a jump start to get home when push starting it won't work. I fashioned a quick disconnectable lead to the poz terminal with a bolt on the distal end to facilitate an easy jump start. I attach the neg clamp of jumper cables to the engine block and the poz to the bolt on the end of the lead from the poz terminal. I put a 30 amp inline fuse on the lead but it's way to small and blows. I bought a different inline fuse holder that will accept a 100 amp fuse. I know an MF batt can provide 190-220 CCA, but does the starter pull that much? I haven't been able to find a multimeter that can test DC current in excess of 10 amps or I would test it myself before I waste any more money on this (or your time). I thought this was going to be a great thing until I fix my bike correctly. I guess I could use the lead w/o a fuse but I'm kinda clumsy and can imagine accidently touching the frame or engine with that lead and screw up something really bad. I'm sure some of you are cringing reading this, the only advice I'm really looking for is it possible the starter can pull more than 100 amps? THANK YOU ELECTRICAL GURUS for any help.

To Do List:

-T7 stator mod
-R/R relo
-MF Battery
-voltmeter
-ignition switch
-ACCT's to MCCT's
-LED brake & turns
-spline lube

Did I miss anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoSeven View Post
If you can push start it or jump start it, you stator might still be good. Do your meter tests again, you might just need a new R/R. Please don't ride it again until you're sure. I think riding with a bad R/R can kill a good stator.
Agreed; I've seen where a bad R/R killed a good stator. Also, a bad connection _at_ the R/R might kill one, too; the blk/yellow on mine was fried, and killed my second stator. R/R was still good; I ended up replacing the fried connector block with individual insulated female spade terminals, cleaned all the R/R terminals, and replacing the stator. No problem since, and that was around 12,000 miles back.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

Last edited by J.D.; 08-24-2011 at 04:44 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Stator is bad

When I first recognized charging problems, I did the usual stator testing. It's definitely gone-aria. All three leads are grounded (bummer) and AC voltages all varied, with the highest output in the high 20's @ 4k RPM (again, double bummer). I have a new Electrosport stator and R/R, just needed to be registered on VN750.com (done) and TIME to do my T7 stator mod between full time work and school (hopefully soon!).

So in the meantime I'm running off a charged battery. As the voltage drops from 12.8 volts to about 12 volts it is not enough juice to START the bike, but still enough to run it. It can RUN with as low as 8 volts . At 12 volts if I can't push start it, I get a jump start to make it home. I have saddlebags full of books just draped over the bitch seat which makes jump starting difficult (remove bags, seat screws, seat and have to put it all back on) hence, the quick disconnect positive battery lead to connect the jumper cables quickly without the tedium.

So back to the initial question: How many amps does the STARTER pull? Is it more than 100 amps?

Thanks T7 and JD for your input. I appreciate your kind assistance

To Do List:

-T7 stator mod
-R/R relo
-MF Battery
-voltmeter
-ignition switch
-ACCT's to MCCT's
-LED brake & turns
-spline lube

Did I miss anything?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakrazy View Post
So back to the initial question: How many amps does the STARTER pull? Is it more than 100 amps?
Shouldn't be as much as the 30 amps the main fuse covers; if it is, that should blow, and it would do it even jumping it from your "auxiliary" start cable. And if it does, then I'd suspect a weak starter; i.e., bad brushes, dirty commutator, bad bearings, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayakrazy View Post
Thanks T7 and JD for your input. I appreciate your kind assistance
Not a problem; been there, dude! Sent ya a PM, too; we ain't far apart

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:14 PM

my solution

i had the same problem did a stator replacment and after putting bike back together seems stator was bad out of the box. I was going to have a friend pull the engine again but the trans in my car went out
Sooo i needed the bike
I took the battery from my car and towed it to the shop. Installed battery on my luggage rack and wired the new bike battery ad a spare. I can drive 200 miles on the charged car battery and about 15 starts. Havent had to use the spare yet. getting car back this week but the trusty sometimes Vulcan was a lifesaver all summer

My Enuf.
1995 Vulcan 750
New wires and plugs
Removed and cleaned carbs
re routed air line to right ear
re built transmission
New stator
New RR
New throttle cables
New clutch cable
New wiring harness
New Ignition switch
TIME to Ride
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-26-2011, 09:44 PM
1985 VN-700

Anybody ever think of a small solar charger for these hard starting beasts. Or is the simple fix the agm battery, coild mods, and coil bypass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement