new stator....might need jb or r/r not sure - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Work Hard, Play Hard!!

new stator....might need jb or r/r not sure

I just replaced the stator ...since the wires were fried I also have a newer battery...my headlights went out and I did the quick fix of switching the wire and putting toggle switch in....but I have noticed that the fan isn't working...so I think the fan relay is shot as well...so thinking of replacing the junction box....could someone tell me how to test the regulator...if that is not bad then I will just replaced the junction box.....Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 10:46 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I believe the test is in the service manual, downloadable here: http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 02:48 PM

Testing the R/R is fairly easy. Start the bike, let it warm up a bit. Using a multi meter measure the votage across the battery. If its the original R/R the votage reading would be close to 12VDC. Bring up the RPMs to 3000-4000. The votage should rise to close to 14VDC. Ive read on here that the R/R could cause a stator failure and visa versa. So you may want to think about changing the R/R anyway.
When did your headlight go out? When did you do your "quick fix"? Was it before you replaced the stator? A bad stator could cause the headlight not to work. Also if you ran the new stator wires directly to the R/R the headlight would also not work. There is a yellow wire on one of the R/R connectors, at work and I dont remember which connector. This wire is spliced to one of the stator wires and it operates the headlight relay.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 08-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement