Well yesterday i got stuck in traffic on the way to work. bout an hours worth of stop and go in 100 deg temps. the thermostat was showing the engine sitting just above the lil temp icon in the gauge the whole time. the moment traffic opened up, i gunned it(already late for work) but it just didnt go. i accelerated some, but not like it should. then 15 seconds later the engine cut out. pulled over gave her a look over, switched the fuel petcock to reserve then tried to start her after 15 mins and i got a small start and died again. ended up getting a tow job back to the apartment. For now i havent tested her to see where the problem lies, but deep down i know its a stator and maybe my r/r too. BTW mileage is at 9093 and oil change done at every 3k
This weekend i will start on the testing and break her down. I started to look over then engine and think while waiting for a tow(2.5 hrs in 103 heat is great
). I came up with a few ideas and wanted to bounce them off ya'll and see what ya think. This is my daily driver, and she needs to be as reliable as can be. I put on over 1000 miles a month.
Right now i have a stock of stock bike. I have a custom LED tail light in the works (still working on a circuit) that will reduce the total wattage of the tail down to 2 watts running, and 9 watts stop. i will also be switching out the turn signals to led as well.
Next on my list is exhaust. not sure if i should do a goat belly mod, cap the pipes and switch to a dyna muffler, or just swap out to a set of cruzers. I will also do a R/R move, and install a heatshield under the battery.
As i looked at the radiator i quickly realized, this is a single pass system, and the fan is horrible. A few ideas here. I plan to see if i can install a better fan maybe even larger, and set up a better suction system to get more air throught the radiator. I was also looking at installing an oil cooler to help get engine temps down.
My final idea comes directly at the stator. I plan to get mine rewound, using a larger gauge wire, and a better epoxy then was originally used. i also plan to see if i can modify it to get more heat moved to the stator cover, and install a heat sink onto the cover to move any extra heat.
Since i am a college student, money is a big thing. I know the heat sink and larger gauge rewind is in my price area along with the better fan and the goat belly mod. so lemme know what ya think might work. maybe we can get this problem solved once and for all....