Did the pickup coil mod today to help with the hot start problem. Both coils were greater than .80mm so I gave it a try. Washington state finally got some warm weather so the hot start issue was returning. For those of you who have not done it yet, I rate it as 'easy' to do.
Very little oil dripped out after removing the stator side cover (I use 4L of oil) no worries there. The screws holding the pickup coils were not as difficult as I was prepared for; they came off easily w/o the need for anything more than a cross head screwdriver.
Once off, I nipped off the nub on the stator side with crimping pliers. The nub came off easy then cleaned up the remainder with a small chisel.
To elongate the screw hole, I used a chain saw file as others have done. The metal is so soft, took me about a minute to do each hole - Would have taken me longer to find my Dremel with the correct size stone.
I adjusted the gap to .45mm, reassembled, and started up the bike. It fired right up. For the real test, I rode my son down to the local mini mart (5 miles) to get some well deserved chips and a coke. Lately, this stop would have warmed up the engine enough to cause a hot start issue but not today. The engine started right up again-smiles-
Returning home, bike fully warmed up, I shut it off, let it set for a few seconds (worse time to try to restart) then pushed the starter button anticipating a loud backfire. Again
It started right up, almost as easy as my GL500 Honda - now I'm impressed.
This weekend will be in the 90's (hey, that's hot for here) and I plan on a long ride with my bro on his Triumph 900 perhaps around the Olympic Peninsula 300+ miles. I'll follow up with results.
THANK YOU ALL VN750 members who have done this mod with good results.