Fired IC igniter? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-17-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Fired IC igniter?

While waiting for stator parts to come I decided to clean and grease all the connectors. Bike didn't fire at all when the time came. Going over things I found I had reversed the primary leads on the front coil. When I ring the rear coil it is still barely in spec but the front has an open on the secondary. I don't get any spark from either coil when grounding a plug (I did use a spark tester first).

I think I toasted the IC igniter and the front coil. Can anyone confirm my stupidity? Would this fry the igniter? Not sure whether to take the part to the local shop and see if they will do bench work to test/confirm, buy a used one from eBay, or part the bike out and be done with it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Check this: Measure the voltage @ the two leads on coil ...then read same coil hot lead to battery ground.......

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Reversing the primary leads does not hurt anything.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 04:40 PM
Banned

I think maybe you missed a connection someplace? Polarity of the primary winding doesn't matter, as pappa said. Double check the coil..... did you measure resistance from the secondary (spark plug) end to the primary coil (other two connections) ? I don't see how the secondary would go "open" by what you describe.........
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

At the moment both coils and the igniter are removed. I'll ring the coils again and see what i can do with the igniter and an analog meter. It takes a bit of work to get everything back in the at dang battery box and it will be a couple days before I can work on it again. I'll post the coil readings tomorrow if possible.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 PM Thread Starter

OK, the front coil measures 2.1 ohms on the primary, 20 K ohms on the secondary between the two plug wires. Rear coil reads 2.1 on the primary and infinity on the secondary. Figure its bad at least.

I don't get a reliable reading with my digital meter and the igniter. Shows low ohm readings in the first five tests which should be infinity. First test from the second terminal (- lead) had a reading "creeping up" that looked like a capacitor charging. I think I may be able to come up with an analog meter, or do you guys think I should put it back together and look for voltage on the primary?

I appreciate your help. Very frustrated, had to walk away the other day when the baby sledge hammer came to mind.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
, or do you guys think I should put it back together and look for voltage on the primary?
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=19498&page=2
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks54 View Post
OK, the front coil measures 2.1 ohms on the primary, 20 K ohms on the secondary between the two plug wires. Rear coil reads 2.1 on the primary and infinity on the secondary. Figure its bad at least.

I don't get a reliable reading with my digital meter and the igniter. Shows low ohm readings in the first five tests which should be infinity. First test from the second terminal (- lead) had a reading "creeping up" that looked like a capacitor charging. I think I may be able to come up with an analog meter, or do you guys think I should put it back together and look for voltage on the primary?

I appreciate your help. Very frustrated, had to walk away the other day when the baby sledge hammer came to mind.
Your front coil and wires are in spec, as is the rear coil primary circuit.
Remove the plug wires off the rear coil and check resistance on them separately, then check the coil too, to identify which part is defective.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 08-19-2011 at 05:05 PM.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-24-2011, 11:00 PM Thread Starter

I used an analog meter this time and got reliable readings. I didn't get a correct reading on the front coil because of the crack in my digital meters display

Both front and rear coil primaries are around 2 ohms. The rear coil reads 35K ohms between ends. The front coil is infinite between ends. Following your advise OlHossCanada, I removed the spark plug wires from the coils and read the secondary terminals. Both secondaries are around 20K ohms. The wires on the rear are about 5K each. Both front wires are infinite.

Using the analog meter I checked the igniter per the Kaw book. Most readings were very close. A few were out of spec a little but I'm not ready to give up on it as its all pretty close. Can define if needed.

I've been going through all the connections I greased and cleaning with contact cleaner. May have to replace spark plug wires, but I threw away the screw on ends to those iridium plugs so they would fit the wire ends! Will research suggested wire types next.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

solved

It was in fact the spark plug wires. Tried to get parts locally but local auto parts stores were too confused to help so I ordered a set of new wires from eBay which were perfect. Fired up the first try. Thank you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement