Cranking problems, battery? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Cranking problems, battery?

First post here but I've been creeping on these forums for a while now. amazing info here.

I've been having a problem with my 03' 750 where its not wanting to crank easily. sometimes it works, sometimes I have to do a push start and dump the clutch it get it fired up. I've replaced the spark plugs with Iridium ones I found the info for on here, I replaced the starter today. still not 100% on the cranking. the bike is making a whining sound, kinda like a whirring coming from around the starter area. after its been cranked up for a little while it tends to crank right back up after I cut it off. so I'm thinking its the factory battery not putting out enough juice and maybe when it runs for a bit it charges back up to full capacity allowing for easier cranks. I'm planning on getting one of the MF gel batterys you folks talk about so much but I want to make sure the symptoms match the correct problem. sound like the factory battery to you guys?

p.s. I was also having overheating problems when in traffic or parked. found what I guess is the radiator temp sensor for the fan on the bottom left while sitting on the bike. the plug was loose and a little corroded. cleaned it up, crimped it a little and plugged it back in. fan kicks on while its running now. so thats 1 problem down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Daily Rider

Welcome Cliff, this is a great site for info on the Vulcans. My thoughts would be to start under the seat, check your battery to see how old it is, then start checking for corroded connections.
Good Luck

2000 VN 750
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:20 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Wow, if you are riding an `03 model with the factory battery still in it, and operating most of the time, you got excellent service from it!! Most wet cells are ready to be replaced after only a year or two. Get your favorite battery supplier to do a load test on it after giving it an overnight charge to make sure it is topped up.

If the voltage is low, a new MF-AGM battery will probably cure the problem. The vn likes a fully charged battery.

Also use some dielectric grease on all connections to prevent future corrosion.

Oh BTW, Welcome to the Vulcan madness.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 01:54 AM

Check out the thread I just made involving cranking issues, just in case it seems familiar to you.

Also, the best way to determine if your battery is the culprit is to hook up a car battery to your bike and try to start it.

I like to disconnect the bike battery and use jumper cables from the car battery to the bike's positive and negative wires. For some reason, when I had a bad battery and I just connected the jumper cables onto my bad battery, it wouldn't crank. After taking out the bad battery and trying it with only the car battery it would start right up.

If you try it with the bike's battery disconnected, make sure the positive cable doesn't touch anything... I think I used a rag (clean with no oil) around it to insulate it... it was big and proved to be very thick after wrapping it all around the jumper cable terminal and the bike's positive wire, so no electricity ever came through it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

*Update*

Put an amg mf battery with 220 cca in the bike. Worked a little better. Still only cranked about half the time. Always cranks if its warm. So I got fed up last night and went out there to work on it. Pulled the battery, disconnected damn near every cable between the battery and the starter. Took my wire brush to every connection. Cleaned all of the grounds, pulled the starter solenoid and brushed its connections, undid the marbling I had done right after getting the bike.

Put her all back together. Roller her outside. She fired right up. So I don't know which connection it was but my problems are gone for now. I'm thinking the bendix wasn't engaging fully, maybe due to the bad connections and stuff.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

90% of weak cranking problems are corroded or loose connections, whether it be grounds or what not. Definitely the marbling wouldn't have had any effect on it though. Glad you found the issue where ever it was.
And dielectric grease really does protect the connections from getting corrosion later.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2011, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I just undid the marbling because it was a mod I had done since getting it. Just trying to go back to basics. I adjusted the mix screws out a little a couple weeks ago and even after undoing the marbling I'm stop not getting any pops on decel. so ill probably leave it as is
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff83 View Post
*Update*

I'm thinking the bendix wasn't engaging fully, maybe due to the bad connections and stuff.
They don't have a bendix. The one-way starter clutch acts as a bendix. Bendixs disengage from the flywheel when the engine starts. The one-way clutch freewheels as the engine runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement