what wire for voltmeter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

what wire for voltmeter

What wire exactly in the headlamp do i splice into. is it one of the three wires to the blinker. if so wich one blue or black and yellow or the other one ,and if i do it that way do i need a relay. thank you .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2011, 11:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbldrs View Post
What wire exactly in the headlamp do i splice into. is it one of the three wires to the blinker. if so wich one blue or black and yellow or the other one ,and if i do it that way do i need a relay. thank you .
I used the brown one.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Chucklehead

I went a little radical over the weekend and installed a spade splitter on the red wire to the rear coil (would work on the front one too) and connected it there. So far no issues and I don't lose it when I switch to high beams.

87 vn750at least that is what the frame #'s say
"Squirrel Bike" aka Jersey

Rat bike with a good PR agent

shaved and coastered
2 into 1 exhaust
rear 170 and front 110
Relocated R/R
custom dash with voltmeter
Spitfire windscreen
Plutonium plugs
Recovered seat without "butt hammers"
More to come
Praise to the Parts Goddess Crobins for needed things

When someone tells me "Great minds think alike" all I can think is "You Pervert"

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I don't remember the color but I tapped into the right front marker light. Just make sure you don't tap into the directional wire or it will only work on right turns. If you use the marker which is on when the key is on, you don't need a relay because when the bike is off there is no electrical draw.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I used a relay and got my ready right off the bat. I activated the relay from the running lights.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 06:06 PM

Is your volt meter still working? I tapped in to the left marker light and after about 35-40 miles it blows the main fuse. I am using the Kuryakyn volt meter . This has happened 3 times it is disconnected at this time. Any thoughts.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsuface View Post
Is your volt meter still working? I tapped in to the left marker light and after about 35-40 miles it blows the main fuse. I am using the Kuryakyn volt meter . This has happened 3 times it is disconnected at this time. Any thoughts.
I have limited electrical experience on the Vulcan but I did find out that my main fuse blew out several times because when I switched from the stock single round headlight to my present dual rectangular headlights the wires were exposed before I finally used plastic looms (covers) I had a pinched wire at the fork lock mechanism. If I made an extra sharp right turn it would blow the fuse. It took a bit of time to finally get the scenario figured out and then come up with the exact diagnosis visually before the five minute repair. I still carry three five packs of main fuses in the tool box along with one pack each of the others. Check all your connections and make sure your wires are not getting pinched behind the headlight and in front of the fork. You need to figure out the actual scenario of when exactly the fuse blows such as turning, using signals, brake lights, etc. From that I am sure you may figure out a possible cause and only need a quick fix similar to my situation. Good luck.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM

Garage
to solidsuface:
I agree with Vulcan2000....it may just be coincidence, so test the system for a while without the voltmeter hooked up to eliminate EVERYTHING else first. Inspect your wiring and connections for heat damage or melting wires. Also clean and tighten all your ground connection on the battery box and frame...as well as both connections on the battery.

give us some more information please:
1) tell us exactly how you had it hooked up....is it possible a connection was touching a metal ground during vibrations or hitting bumps?
2) Which fuse was blown?
3) Does the voltmeter have an inline fuse?
4) Was the voltmeter getting hot before the fuse blew open?

You can also test the voltmeter on a 12Volt lantern battery any other 12Volt supply by itself with a inline fuse (5Amps it more than enough) and let it run for a few hours on it's own to see if that alone blows the fuse. this might indicate a thermal issue internally with the meter. if that works, wiggle the wiring of the meter around while it is running to see if that makes the meter blow the fuse.

try these tests and let us know what you find out.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 08:33 AM
2FAS4U

I used the extra accessory wires in the headlight bucket for mine.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Member? ... check.

Garage
If I had to do it over again, I would probably tap the yellow wire in the headlight bucket for signal(+), and the spare black with yellow tracer for ground(-).

~~C8>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement