No Juice!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

No Juice!!!

Well I went to go for a ride today and the bike is completely dead. I have a gel cell battery. I tried putting in another battery and once the electrical connections were connected the radiator fan kicked on and would not stop until the battery connection was taken off. This makes no sense considering the bike was not started at all and the engine was ice cold!! Im bringing the battery to the place where i got it and they are going to test the gel battery for me.
Does anyone have any ideas to what this may be?

Thanks in advance,

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like a short to me (fan). That also would explain why your battery was dead this a.m.

C
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:23 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
Sounds like a short to me (fan). That also would explain why your battery was dead this a.m.
Or a faulty thermo fan switch.
There is a switch test in the manual.

Pull the wire off the switch on the lower left side of the radiator to save the battery until you get the problem solved.
The fan grounds to the frame through that switch.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-30-2011 at 01:26 PM.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Would the faulty fan switch cause the bike to die? I do not think the fan was running the last time I parked the bike before it died.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:06 PM

Temperature changes make things expand and contract, and the short may have happened as the bike cooled from your last ride, giving you time to walk away from the bike before the fan kicked on, staying on and running your battery dead. Totally a theory, but it could happen. We had a sudden freeze several years ago and the temps dropped like a lead balloon during the night. At about 2am I woke to our Mazda 626 horn blaring, non stop. I went out and got inside and hit the horn on the steering wheel several times before it stopped. Only thing I could figure was the rapidly dropping temps caused the plate in there to warp a little and make contact.
I'm guessing that some corrosion in the fan switch on your bike caused the short.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

If the switch was in the closed position it would complete the fan circuit and drain the battery.
The engine does not have to be running for elelctric cooling fans to come on in cars or on motorcycles. IMHO it is possible for the fans thermo cooling switch to fail after parking the bike.

Since the fan started as soon as you installed a new battery, I`m about 99% sure the switch is faulty.
You can leave the battery connections hooked up. Just pull the wire off the switch on the radiator as mentioned in my previous post and the fan will shut off.

You can prove the fan circuit grounds through that wire by touching the wire to bare metal on the frame. The fan will come back on.

If the fan had a short, I don`t believe it would run at all, whether the switch was functional or faulty.
Either test the switch or just replace it.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-30-2011 at 02:10 PM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Well i just put the charged battery in and it fired up first try without any issues. However, the fan instantly kicked in once the battery was connected. I disconnected the fan for now until i figure out what exactly is causing the fan to run(I am guessing that I need a new switch). Is it still ok to ride with the fan disconnected? I am hoping that this is the only reason why my battery got drained and there is no other problem with the electrical system.

Dan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:28 PM

Ol Hoss and Fergy are likely right, that it's the fan switch that's the problem and not the fan. Can't pull the switch, though, without draining the fluid out of your radiator. Someone correct me, but I think you can install a toggle switch on the circuit so that you can cut power to the switch unless *you* want the fan to come on. Fairly cheap solutoin. The switches are expensive (last time I bought one it was $80 or so), but if you keep an eye out for radiators on eBay, you can often snag the radiator, the fan, and the switch for a low price. Just make sure to ask the seller if the switch is included and if everything was working before the unit was pulled.

C
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Does the fan switch ground the fan or does it ground a relay that runs the fan??

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Does the fan switch ground the fan or does it ground a relay that runs the fan??
It makes a ground for the relay circuit .The relay is internal to the JB.Mine went bad and I put an external relay for the fan and used the thermal switch to ground the coil on the relay it worked just like factory with the exception of the external relay.My guess and that is what it is ,you are having JB problems.

Hook the battery up and then ground the wire that goes to the bottom of the radiator to the frame ,if the fan runs the relay is stuck closed.Now,ask me why I have an extra fan assembly for a vn750.

The answer is......., mine stuck in the open position and the fan wouldn't run and I assumed it was the fan when the fan would not run with the wire grounded,since you have a known good fan it is either the radiator switch or the relay.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 07-30-2011 at 08:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement