Ugh - Electrical problems more complicated than I thought - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Unhappy Ugh - Electrical problems more complicated than I thought

So here's an update from my thread this a.m. about the headlight being out when I started my bike (https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279). It's a Suzuki Savage, so there are a few things different about it from ours - however, fuses are obviously the same wherever. So I tried to do some trouble-shooting this evening: checked the fuses and they're fine; pulled the headlamp bulb and replaced it with a known good bulb - nothing. In the process of starting the bike to see if the bulb would come on, I discovered a new issue: when I pulled the clutch lever in to start the bike (starter won't turn over on these unless the clutch is in), the bike started right up! That is, pulling in the clutch lever started the bike -- not pulling the lever in and hitting the starter button! I checked the wiring diagram and there are two wires to the starter button - one straight off the clutch "on" position, and the other that goes from the starter button to the solenoid. A perusal of the wires didn't reveal any obvious problems, but I recalled that last week we had a brief storm and my bike was caught in it - so I've obviously got a short somewhere.

I don't want to hijack our Forum with a discussion about a totally different bike, so if anyone wants to discuss the particulars, we can do so via PMs. But can anyone give some advice on how to track down a short after a rain storm? Like, where the heck do I start? I'm thinking the wiring around the starter button, but could be persuaded to look elsewhere.

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
I don't want to hijack our Forum with a discussion about a totally different bike, so if anyone wants to discuss the particulars, we can do so via PMs. But can anyone give some advice on how to track down a short after a rain storm? Like, where the heck do I start? I'm thinking the wiring around the starter button, but could be persuaded to look elsewhere.
I'm no electrical whiz by any means but with as much as you have given our forum if you want to troubleshoot the game "Mousetrap" on it, we're all ears, pun intended!

sure someone can help!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Was the bike in neutral when you tried to start it? Check the connection to the neutral switch.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Was the bike in neutral when you tried to start it? Check the connection to the neutral switch.
Yep. I actually pulled the neutral switch off of the LH controls and replaced it with one off of my spouse's bike. Same thing happened, so the problem's further downstream.

C
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365 View Post
So here's an update from my thread this a.m. about the headlight being out when I started my bike (https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19279). It's a Suzuki Savage, so there are a few things different about it from ours - however, fuses are obviously the same wherever. So I tried to do some trouble-shooting this evening: checked the fuses and they're fine; pulled the headlamp bulb and replaced it with a known good bulb - nothing. In the process of starting the bike to see if the bulb would come on, I discovered a new issue: when I pulled the clutch lever in to start the bike (starter won't turn over on these unless the clutch is in), the bike started right up! That is, pulling in the clutch lever started the bike -- not pulling the lever in and hitting the starter button! I checked the wiring diagram and there are two wires to the starter button - one straight off the clutch "on" position, and the other that goes from the starter button to the solenoid. A perusal of the wires didn't reveal any obvious problems, but I recalled that last week we had a brief storm and my bike was caught in it - so I've obviously got a short somewhere.
Cindy,
Seems clear to me the starter button is in closed (pressed) position. If you have some CRC (electrical spray cleaner) or compressed air, focus on starter button/mechanism.
BTW: I agree fuses are culprit for other issue.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The neutral switch should be some wheres close to the trans. The one on the VN is under the trans.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoIP Doc View Post
Cindy,
Seems clear to me the starter button is in closed (pressed) position. If you have some CRC (electrical spray cleaner) or compressed air, focus on starter button/mechanism.
BTW: I agree fuses are culprit for other issue.
Doc`s suggestion seems the most logical and direct conclusion to the starter operating when the clutch switch closes.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2011, 05:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
The neutral switch should be some wheres close to the trans. The one on the VN is under the trans.
You're right about that; I was thinking about the other switch (so many neutral switches, so little time). I'll check that this evening; Doc, I'll hit the starter with CRC tonight - it could also be that the starter circuit (not the starter button itself) is stuck open, though, right? Somewhere along the way? One (more) wiring diagram question - when there's a black box that goes across several wires on the diagram, does that represent an x-pin connector for those wires? Since the fuses are good, I'm trying to think of a common point for all of these issues - starter circuit "on," but no headlamp, no high beam indicator light, no running lights, and no horn.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 07-27-2011 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Two shots of espresso short of being able to write a coherent response this a.m.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement