Strange electrical issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Question Strange electrical issue

My 1991 VN750 was running great until I washed it. Now it turns over no problem but will not start. I have checked all connectors for moisture and ensured that all grounds are tight and clean. I have pulled the plugs and they are in good shape . I get NO spark at all on the front plugs and an intermittent very weak (yellow) spark on the right side rear plug. I have come to the conclusion that it is either the igniter or both coils . I can not see both coils going simultaneously? If anyone has any other ideas as to what it could be or a way to tell if it is the coils or igniter any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Let it dry off. Check the wires that go to the coils. Pull them off and puch them back in. You have gotten water on the connections and some have gotten some corrossion. All you can do is check the connections.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Let it dry off. Check the wires that go to the coils. Pull them off and puch them back in. You have gotten water on the connections and some have gotten some corrossion. All you can do is check the connections.
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue. When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap 1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0 2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard! would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 10:54 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 VN750CANADA View Post
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue. When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap 1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0 2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard! would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.
Moisture in the electrical system would cause these problems. I would also check your air filters. If they are wet the carbs might be sucking in moisture and causing the same problems. Also check the sparkplug wires and boots.

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991 VN750CANADA View Post
Thank you for this information I did as you suggested pulled them off and put them back on numerous times and the bike now starts and idles but now there is a new issue.

When idling it stumbles I took it out for a ride and it runs like crap
1. the tach indicates 6-8k and drops to 0
2. when accelerating the bike stumbles hard!

would moisture in the electrical system or a low battery cause these symptoms? I have put the cover over the bike and plugged the Charger in to bring the battery back up to full and will take another whack at it tomorrow.
Please forgive me for putting some spaces in your post so I could read it and understand it better.

Q: Is the engine actually reving to 6-8k rpm while riding?

The only advice I can offer is put some di-electric grease on ALL electrical connections after drying them off and/or cleaning them with some spray electronic contact cleaner. Look for "plastic safe" spray cleaner.

One more idea. Make sure the drains in the bottom of the spark plug tubes on one side of each cylinder are clear. If not the plug may be sitting in a pool of water.

See what a fully charged battery and cleaned connections do for the spark and engine running condition, then report back.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 07-17-2011 at 11:07 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I would also add some water remover to the fuel tank. That is for just in case you got water in the fuel tank.

And spray the side stand safety switch with wd and work it.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Well, don't spray water to wash it again....

I never use a hose or dump water on the bike, but clean each area seperatly with a spray cleaner like the Honda stuff and multipurpose glass cleaner.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I too believe in not washing bikes with car wash pressure. Every once in a while I do wash at a car wash, but I'm taking my chances. I spray from a distance and try to stay away from electrical components.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2011, 01:47 PM

(((With the key off)))))) I use carb cleaner on the contacts when you pull the connectors apart and spray inside the connectors. It will evaporate any standing water in the connectors. Then if youre feelin froggy, you could use some di-electric grease and put some inside the connector before reconnecting. This would ensure this didnt happen again and will help keep the connectors from corroding.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 12:34 AM

I would start with your ground. Check it at the battery and follow it to the frame. Check your engine ground as well. When you have more than one electrical component failing that is the first place to start. As for the water? It should not cause any problems. I ride in rain all the time. I am talking about so much rain you can barely see. At 70 mph rain is going faster than when I wash it. If you get your biike wet and something bad happens, The water was not the problem. Something else is wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement