R/R Replacement - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

R/R Replacement

So Im curious to ask for you guys that have moved your regulator/rectifier.... Have you seen a noticeable difference from your gauges? Have you ever had an instance where your bike wouldnt start back up when it was hot and after the replacement, was it any better?

Thanks in advance for the responses!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

There is no real proof that relocating the r/r does anything to lengthen it`s life or the life and efficiency of the stator or battery. I read where someone else said, "It can`t hurt to reclocate it", so many of us have.

To see a real difference in charging efficiency from the r/r, change out to a Shindigen/mosfet when you need a new one.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/S...tifier-Install

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 03:14 PM

The R/R has nothing to do with the bike starting. What it does is take the VAC coming from the stator and change it to VDC for the operation of the bike and recharging of the battery.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
There is no real proof that relocating the r/r does anything to lengthen it`s life or the life and efficiency of the stator or battery. I read where someone else said, "It can`t hurt to reclocate it", so many of us have.

To see a real difference in charging efficiency from the r/r, change out to a Shindigen/mosfet when you need a new one.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/S...tifier-Install
hmm... interesting, he really didnt go into detail as to why the mosfet is better then the stock scr other then what the acronyms actually mean... I guess Ill do some digging soon to figure that out. interesting none the less!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
The R/R has nothing to do with the bike starting. What it does is take the VAC coming from the stator and change it to VDC for the operation of the bike and recharging of the battery.
It most certainly does if its nots working... Ill keep the rest of the smart a$$ comments out
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestjd View Post
hmm... interesting, he really didnt go into detail as to why the mosfet is better then the stock scr other then what the acronyms actually mean... I guess Ill do some digging soon to figure that out. interesting none the less!
I am the one who did the write up at the request of this forum, after we beat the issue to death... the reason that the Mosfet Rectifier is so much better... it with stands heat better, the way it works is more efficient than our r/r, and lastly we ended up going this rout because i can't find an automotive voltage regulator that would work for our bike.

this whole project started because my R/R went south and I found an article on how to make my own R/R using common automotive parts. But I found out this only works if you have an electro-magnetic field type charging system... using an automotive voltage regulator to open and close the fields... but since we have a perminant-magnetic field this would not work, and could not regulate the voltage output. Then another member found the Shindegen R/R... I studied the specs, and opted to go this rout with a TPE Custom Wound Stator. I now have power to run my 100 amp headlight, 55 watt driving lights, and my 75 watt stereo with enough left over to run a gps, charge my phone, and my iPod.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I am the one who did the write up at the request of this forum, after we beat the issue to death... the reason that the Mosfet Rectifier is so much better... it with stands heat better, the way it works is more efficient than our r/r, and lastly we ended up going this rout because i can't find an automotive voltage regulator that would work for our bike.

this whole project started because my R/R went south and I found an article on how to make my own R/R using common automotive parts. But I found out this only works if you have an electro-magnetic field type charging system... using an automotive voltage regulator to open and close the fields... but since we have a perminant-magnetic field this would not work, and could not regulate the voltage output. Then another member found the Shindegen R/R... I studied the specs, and opted to go this rout with a TPE Custom Wound Stator. I now have power to run my 100 amp headlight, 55 watt driving lights, and my 75 watt stereo with enough left over to run a gps, charge my phone, and my iPod.
WOW, Thats alot of accessories!!!!! I think Im gona try a mosfet in my 77 Kaw, my lights run dim so maybe that will fix that issue! Im more or less interested at the components that make up the mosfet to make it so efficient. Its comforting to know that from your research in the write up that companies are putting the mosfet r/r in the newer bikes.

Last but not least... Thank you for your research!!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Guess I have some learning to do, maybe you could help. How does the R/R assist in starting the bike? If you thought I was being a smart A$$ I must apologize, was unintentional. Was just trying to answer one of your questions.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Guess I have some learning to do, maybe you could help. How does the R/R assist in starting the bike? If you thought I was being a smart A$$ I must apologize, was unintentional. Was just trying to answer one of your questions.
The r/r makes sure your battery is charged to allow you to start your bike. That's about the only reason I can think of as to how the R/R helps to start your bike.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
You were not being a smart a$$... The poster that said you were wrong was...

(by saying I guess if the R/R does not work, you couldn't start the bike?)

However , your statement is correct... The stator or the R/R have nothing to do with starting the bike. You can remove both of them , put in a charged battery and the bike will start...

It won't run very long.... but it will start.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement