why,,r/r relocation ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

why,,r/r relocation ?

I read all the advice on here,and usualy take note of it. But,curiousity got me here. Am i right in thinking that the regulator/rectifier is only in danger of overheating off the goats belly while the bike is stationary/slow riding ?,,otherwise the wind would keep it cool ?. Im still thinking it may be good advice to move it,,but am i right in thinking the above ?. cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev it up View Post
I read all the advice on here,and usualy take note of it. But,curiousity got me here. Am i right in thinking that the regulator/rectifier is only in danger of overheating off the goats belly while the bike is stationary/slow riding ?,,otherwise the wind would keep it cool ?. Im still thinking it may be good advice to move it,,but am i right in thinking the above ?. cheers.
IIRC, the r/r doesn't really get the airflow it needs when mounted under the battery box with the goat's belly installed.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:25 PM
Giggity!

Garage
You are essentially correct. It hase not been proven to truly be bennificial but seems a logical "preventative" mod. Many afolks are riding with them right where the factory put them.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. im not too keen on relocating it onto the popular place (rear foot rest) because i dont like the look of it there,,and i bet my girl would bust it with her feet.lol.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by rev it up View Post
Thanks. im not too keen on relocating it onto the popular place (rear foot rest) because i dont like the look of it there,,and i bet my girl would bust it with her feet.lol.
de-goating should alleviate a lot of the heat that causes the r/r's to fry.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:19 PM
Banned

Someday I'm going to run the heat transfer numbers on the R/R in it's stock location. I'm not sure if enough info on it is available thou..... ie, max wattage used and so on. It would be interesting to see how much heat can be dissipated by the fins at various speeds and ambient temps......
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
Someday I'm going to run the heat transfer numbers on the R/R in it's stock location. I'm not sure if enough info on it is available thou..... ie, max wattage used and so on. It would be interesting to see how much heat can be dissipated by the fins at various speeds and ambient temps......
off-topic... I'm troubleshooting my r/r tonight. I have been told to first check the ohms between each connector, then check the ohms against ground? The ohms between each should be fairly consistent. Correct?

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs

Hickory, NC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:39 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
I am wondering if relocating and then fabricating a small air duct (open ended scoop) over the r/r would help. I would be interested in any comparison information you come up with for the heat transfer of the stock location to the relocation position.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolesteven View Post
de-goating should alleviate a lot of the heat that causes the r/r's to fry.
Again...there is no proof that the R/R will "fry" in the stock position. Degoating removes the heat source under the R/R but, makes the bike louder....

Many come here and get brainwashed into thinking they NEED to move the R/R or their bikes will kill off their stator and cost them hundreds of dollars in repairs. Again...no proof that anything will go wrong.

I had my bike for 5 years and never moved the R/R...no problems with it or my stator. (Granted I did not have the bike that long)

Moving the R/R does make some sence "logiclly" , but again I stress there is no proof that it prevents electical system failures. Quite a few folks have had stator failures after they moved their R/R.

Someone awhile back attached a thermocouple to the R/R before and after they moved it. Under normal riding conditions they said it seemed to run 20 degrees cooler out by the peg as oppossed to under the battery.

The heat does go up on the unit if you are in stop and go traffic. Under these conditions, your motor also tends to run hotter too... and sitting in stopped traffic on a real hot day , I did see the voltage drop on my voltmeter...now was this do to the R/R getting hot, the stator getting hot, or the fan kicking on...? Not sure, but not going to make assumptions here. Once I got moving again the volts came back up and all was well.

I think relocating the R/R outboard and also fabbing a scoop for it is overkill...and may be a bit more difficult than it sounds, as it is hard to test such things without the right instruments. Your "scoop" might actually decrease airflow over the R/R as airflow around a moving bike can be complex.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Again...there is no proof that the R/R will "fry" in the stock position. Degoating removes the heat source under the R/R but, makes the bike louder....

Many come here and get brainwashed into thinking they NEED to move the R/R or their bikes will kill off their stator and cost them hundreds of dollars in repairs. Again...no proof that anything will go wrong.

I had my bike for 5 years and never moved the R/R...no problems with it or my stator. (Granted I did not have the bike that long)

Moving the R/R does make some sence "logiclly" , but again I stress there is no proof that it prevents electical system failures. Quite a few folks have had stator failures after they moved their R/R.

Someone awhile back attached a thermocouple to the R/R before and after they moved it. Under normal riding conditions they said it seemed to run 20 degrees cooler out by the peg as oppossed to under the battery.

The heat does go up on the unit if you are in stop and go traffic. Under these conditions, your motor also tends to run hotter too... and sitting in stopped traffic on a real hot day , I did see the voltage drop on my voltmeter...now was this do to the R/R getting hot, the stator getting hot, or the fan kicking on...? Not sure, but not going to make assumptions here. Once I got moving again the volts came back up and all was well.

I think relocating the R/R outboard and also fabbing a scoop for it is overkill...and may be a bit more difficult than it sounds, as it is hard to test such things without the right instruments. Your "scoop" might actually decrease airflow over the R/R as airflow around a moving bike can be complex.

KM
I agree KM. If it is the R/R not being able to dissipate heat that causes the voltage to drop when you are sitting in stop and go traffic, then a scoop wouldn't do much if anything on the helpful side. A fan maybe, but that would also be more draw on the electrical system. The only reason anyone here recommends moving the R/R is the fact that it "can't hurt", rather than it helps, since we really don't know if it does.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement