replacing my wire harness and plugs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

replacing my wire harness and plugs

So I got my bike running a while back, thank you all for the advice and help on the carb issue i was having btw, turns out the guy i bought it off of had tried to take it apart and clean it, and in the process mangled all the jets...looks like instead of unscrewing them, he tried to just yank em out with a pair of pliers. So I bought a used set off ebay from a 2006, took it to the shop and had them tune it up (Don't have the gauges or anything to do that, and I wanted it right, quickly) and she's been running great every since. Recently, however, shes been dieing on me, backfiring when i start and slow down, and generally running kinda odd. But only after it rains =/. I thoguht it was gas in the tank, until i remembered one night when i got home late a few months ago i saw electricity arcing off my plugs onto the engine case. So I wrapped em in electrical tape as a temp fix, and generally forgot about them. That electrical tape is flaring out a bit, so its open, and every time it rains I believe water gets inside it and drains the power before it gets to my spark plugs. I had someone jump me one time, and it would only start when he revved his engine as i tried to start. I also thought maybe it was the stator, but it hasn't died again in the past 3 days (there's also been no rain) So all that being said, I found all the plugs and little pieces to the plugs at

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/73391

Now I just need to know what wire diameter and what kind of wire to replace the actual cables with. I was also hoping someone could tell me what kind of insulation to wrap said wire in, and how to connect the wires to the plugs in a water tight manner. Any advice and help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

NGK plug caps: LD05F and XD05f, two of each. 7mm plug wire, maybe 6' ?

The end caps at the coils unscrew. There is a rubber bushing inside the cap to provide strain relief. Keep the cap and rubber part and slide them on the new wire. The new plug wire should be cut flush and pushed into the coil till it 'bottoms out.' Replace the rubber bushing and screw the cap down. The plug end will 'screw' onto the other end of the wire. Cut the wire to length, slide the rubber boot on, and screw the cap on. Replace the rubber boot onto the cap. There is another rubber boot that attaches to the cap where it goes over the spark plug. Install that boot. Put some dielectric grease on the ceramic of the plug and slide the cap onto the plug. Repeat three more times. Start bike and enjoy.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

would this be an acceptable plug wire replacement? I don't want to make it myself, i want something already made, high quality, reliable. I can't guarantee if i make it myself it'll be what i need lol. Also wondering if i should replace my ignition coils. I'd rather not since theres two and they're kinda expensive.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...eafCatId=41209

Last edited by Backlash1818; 06-18-2011 at 05:10 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Banned

7mm wire will be easier to work with, the 8mm wont fit the coils without modification.......
Your going to have to terminate the coil end anyway, so you may as well just get the NGK caps and make your own...... it's very easy to do....
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

ok so I guess I'll do that. Should i shrink wrap anything, like where the wire connects to plugs and such? I really don't want to experience problems with my electrical again, already got stranded once lmao. And I was wondering if I should replace my ignition coils as well. If I'm gonna work on the electrical I want to try and get it all in one go
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Banned

well, you can test the coils while your at it...... but they rarely go bad.
Shrink is unnecessary, and may interfere with the rubber grommets that come with the caps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

sweet, i've ordered everything i need and I plan on making it into a video if this website needs one for that. Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement