I'm guessing it's the stator... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

I'm guessing it's the stator...

So, it's been about 4 weeks since I replaced my wet cell battery with an AGM battery. The last couple days it has taken a few more seconds to start than usual. Then, yesterday, it wouldn't start at all. Just the dreaded click click click of the starter. I put the wet cell back in and it fired right up. Measured my battery voltage with the engine running and it only got up to 12.58V at 4K-5K rpm. So, is my stator dead or is it the regulator/rectifier? The PO said both were replaced in '09 and the bike was ridden much since then. Are they known to fail that quickly or could there be something else wrong with the bike? Thanks for the help!

2002 Vulcan 750
Iridium plugs
AGM Battery
More upgrades to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Banned

There are about 5 million threads, give or take, on testing the charging system here in the forum. Start with a search on testing the stator and let us know how it goes......
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

OK, so I measured the resistance of each yellow wire to ground. They are all shorted to ground, about 3 ohms. Measured to each other they are all the same, about 3 ohms. I measured AC voltage of each pair with the bike running. Two pairs went from about 20V at idle to about 60V at 4000 rpm. One pair went up to 70V at 4000 rpm. So, something is grounding out the stator?? Any ideas???

2002 Vulcan 750
Iridium plugs
AGM Battery
More upgrades to come!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

You might check to see if they are pinched by the cover.......
There should be NO continuity to ground, and at 3 ohm..... that's a lot of current going to ground...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

When I put the leads of my meter together, it is about 2.5 - 3 ohms. So, I think my meter just isn't zeroing very well. This still seems strange to me...the stator seems to be putting out the correct voltage, at the same time it's ground to the chassis. I measured from the yellow wire to a bolt on the frame, that should be good right?

2002 Vulcan 750
Iridium plugs
AGM Battery
More upgrades to come!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:02 PM

What your saying dont make much sense. You would think like you said if its shorted you should not read any voltage. Are you suppose to check the stator voltage from one leg to the other or from each leg to ground? I dont see in my manual to even do a voltage check but i know it can be done. Where are you checking the resistance to ground from the R/R connector or the bullets? If your doing it from the R/R try doing it from the bullets and see if you get the same readings. But if you have stator wires shorted to ground the the stator will have to be replaced. Do you know where he got the stator from? I hear Ricks stators have not been all that good, guys on here saying theres only lasting a few months. I got mine from Tim Parrot, so far so good. Have you had to change one before?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
What your saying dont make much sense. You would think like you said if its shorted you should not read any voltage. ...
ehh.......??
Just because there is voltage going to ground doesn't change the fact that there is potential on the stator output. There may not be much current available, but the voltage drop is what it is.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

I was measuring both resistance and voltage from the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator. I pulled them out of the banana plugs to get my readings. So, is my stator good or bad???

2002 Vulcan 750
Iridium plugs
AGM Battery
More upgrades to come!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:52 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

It is shorted to ground, so it is bad for sure.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Got my new stator and R/R today. Just waiting for all the orings, gaskets, and Clymer manual before I start this job. I've decided to go ahead and attempt the engine tilt to replace the stator. I don't trust myself with a cutting wheel to make the cover mod. I have experience working on cars and such so I think I should be able to handle it. One question I had was this...The PO said he had the entire wiring harness replaced before he put it up for sale. Could the stator have taken out (i.e. melted) the wiring harness since it is shorted to ground? Sounds reasonable to me so I am not riding the bike anymore till I get it replaced. I am anxious to get this done so I can start riding again!!

2002 Vulcan 750
Iridium plugs
AGM Battery
More upgrades to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement