Clutch safety switch - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Clutch safety switch

I was changing my clutch lever today and I snapped the button off of my clutch safety switch in the process. I could order a replacement part for between 10 and 20 dollars, but does anyone know of a way I can bypass the switch all together? Thanks ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:36 PM

If it's a switch, it's either opened or closed. You could twist the wires together, or make sure they're seperate depending on how the circuit is wired. But I'd still get the switch and fix it properly.

My luck, I'd start it gear and put it through the front window.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:56 PM

I have bypassed mine but I can't remeber what colors I spliced together. But as stated its better to replace it, luckily I caught mine before I dumped it lmao but without that switch its not a question of if but when...better safe then aggrivated at a dumb repair lol

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Like scooter said, its eithe going to be normally open or a normally closed switch... if the wires are not touch and the bike will start then its a normally open switch and you can cut the wires or just leave them alone.

If the bike will start with the two wires touching then its a normally closed switch and you should at least put a bcap/wire nut on the ends of them.

either way the switch is you should use some black electrical tape around them to keep the air moisture out of the wire so they dont corrode until you decide whether or not you are going to replace the switch.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 04:23 PM

Does the bike start now without doing anything? the way i see the schematic if you short the BK and the BK/R you will still have to be in neutral to start the bike. If you short the BK and the BK/Y its like holding in the clutch. The BK/R gets its ground through the Neutral switch, The BK/Y gets its ground from the battery. Instead of cutting the wires I would see it you could make a jumper that would fit into the connector, that way when you replace the switch just remove the jumper and plug in the connector

Last edited by ifixf18s; 06-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 06:19 PM

Well that explains why mine has to be in neutral to start, it was a pain before I fixed my "poogs" issues lol thanks for the info now I can fix the switch annoyance.

86 Vn750
Coastered
De-Goated
Ears shaved
"Custom Pipes"
"Custom Seat"
Apes
Stator Mod
Malteese led Turn Signals (Rear)
Paid 750.00$ for her in 2005 w/ 9k
Currently @ 23k and counting
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 08:10 PM
Banned

If the plunger snapped off, you don't need to do anything. The bike will act like the clutch is pulled in all the time.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the immense amount of replies. I have my tank off right now for a repaint so I don't even know if it would have started, but I ordered a new one just to be safe. Found a deal on ebay, $13 to my door. I imagine it could be worth it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Banned

My switch was broken like that for three years before I fixed it...... and then only because I wanted to use the clutch switch in my keyless ignition circuit..........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement