running without regulator - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

running without regulator

Will the bike be alright to run without a regulator...will this hurt the stator or anything....I have been having a lot of trouble with the bike and need to ride it about 4-5 miles to my house....The regulator is completely unhooked and the wires from stator I would tape off and make sure no short could happen there...If the battery is fully charged would this be alright? what would be the problem with always ridign the bike like this is making if putting on battery tenderizer anytime not riding thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Banned

It's fine. Your problem is going to be keeping the bike running at stops. I think doing this all the time would be a PITA, and probably not real good for the battery....
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM

Blair my friend, not sure exactly what it would do to the battery, but riding the bike without it, the battery will not be charged. Seems you know this already. Im thinking 5 miles would not be a problem but if you have to stop alot it might be, not sure how many miles/minutes you can go on just a battery. As long as your stator wires are protected so they wont short i dont see how it could hurt the stator, just to answer that question. Listen if your regulator being pluged in is making your fuse blow get a mosfet regulator. The 3 wires that go to the one R/R you have now are not used with a mosfet. you just cut them at the connector cover the ends and just tape them up with the existing wire harness. The mosfet uses your stator wires and new wires that come with the kit that go to the battery, Real easy. Ive been through this. As long as the bikes wiring wasnt modified in this area there are splices in the harness that cutting them 3 wires at the connector will not have any effect on the rest of the wires.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The regulator is an "r/r" - regulator/rectifier. The rectifying piece is where it converts the alternating current coming out of the stator to direct current. Your battery can only store direct current. Hence, the r/r is how you recharge your battery. Without the regulator, you're running the bike off the battery - no recharge happening. Dariv's correct about keeping the bike running at stops; if you stall out once, you've got a long push ahead of you.

C
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Listen if your regulator being pluged in is making your fuse blow get a mosfet regulator. The 3 wires that go to the one R/R you have now are not used with a mosfet. you just cut them at the connector cover the ends and just tape them up with the existing wire harness.

So are you sure that this would take care of the problem, and should just spend the money and quit fighting with the one I have now? I appreciate all you comments on my post. I will order a mosfett soon if this will take care of the problem. again thanks for the post I can't wait to be riding again but at this point I am about to give up on the old vulcan!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM

I cant Tell ya what to do, im not there, I and can only go by what you have been saying in the other post. You mentioned that it started happing after you replaced the R/R. That tells me its got to be the R/R, thats what i think. You mentioned when you plug in the black wire (with all the others hooked up ) the fuse blows, I bet that if you plug in all the wires but the white one it would not blow untill you hooked up the white one. It sounds to me like its shorting inside the R/R. Plus you said you someone told you you had to swap the wht wire and the blk wire around to make it work. In my opinion if the R/R was made for the bike you should not have to do that. Did you try swapping them back? I also mentioned reading the R/R contacts out with a meter, did you do that? Does it still blow if you leave all 3 yellow stator wires disconnected? Did you go to the link I sent and download the manual? It has all the schematics in there. This way you can see on paper what is happening. I understand your frustration. I have been troubleshooting problems like this on aircraft for almost 30 years. So wiring problems and circuit breakers popping is nothing new to me. Im not on your case, just trying to help you out.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
I cant Tell ya what to do, im not there, I and can only go by what you have been saying in the other post. You mentioned that it started happing after you replaced the R/R. That tells me its got to be the R/R, thats what i think. You mentioned when you plug in the black wire (with all the others hooked up ) the fuse blows, I bet that if you plug in all the wires but the white one it would not blow untill you hooked up the white one. It sounds to me like its shorting inside the R/R. Plus you said you someone told you you had to swap the wht wire and the blk wire around to make it work. In my opinion if the R/R was made for the bike you should not have to do that. Did you try swapping them back? I also mentioned reading the R/R contacts out with a meter, did you do that? Does it still blow if you leave all 3 yellow stator wires disconnected? Did you go to the link I sent and download the manual? It has all the schematics in there. This way you can see on paper what is happening. I understand your frustration. I have been troubleshooting problems like this on aircraft for almost 30 years. So wiring problems and circuit breakers popping is nothing new to me. Im not on your case, just trying to help you out.
I really appreciate all of your info....Getting the mosfettt would make sense because it would eliminate the shorting wires (or I just got a bad regulator for the one I just bought) I have not been able to test with as Ido not have a mette...I am trying to get one from a friend. I agree I think I jsut must have bought a bad r/r...I guess I should jsut try another one...I was really hoping to not spend $100+ dollars but I guess you get what you pay for. Thank you for all the post I will be orderign a new r/r soon I hope that is all I will need to do
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2011, 03:47 PM

From what I understand with what you have been telling me is that you dont have a shorted wire. If you have a shorted wire that needs to be fixed. If you had a shorted wire I would think your fuse would blow all the time regardless if the R/R was pluged in or not. I took a photo of the charging system schematic. And placed on this post. Keep in mind its for the stock R/R.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0514.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	3831  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement