Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
New Motolights

Off...

On...

These lights are much lower than I had originally imagined. But they were installed in the only spot that worked with the mounting kit. On the road, they actually hit the spot (!) ~ not only illuminating straight ahead the area beneath the low and high beams, but also a wider peripheral swath.

Close-up...

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 06-12-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

That is exactly the configuration I would like on my bike!
The triangle of light is what railway locomotives use to be conspicuious to automobile traffic at crossings.

The construction of the light case and bracket appears to be quite robust.
Is the lens thick/strong enough to withstand strikes from gravel and other road debris?

Do you have a link to a source for the Motolights?

Ok, I found the Motolight Site:
http://www.motolight.com/motolight-lights

Pricey stuff, but looks top quality.

NOTE: If you are active or retired military, law enforcement or firefighter, there is a 10% discount.
Quote:
These lights are much lower than I had originally imagined. But they were installed in the only spot that worked with the mounting kit.
Charlie, maybe their strap mount kit suits the vn750 forks better, by allowing the light to be mounted higher, farther away from potential rock strikes, etc..
http://www.motolight.com/product/Str...%20Light%20Set

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-12-2011 at 12:23 PM. Reason: add links
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
That is exactly the configuration I would like on my bike! The triangle of light is what railway locomotives use to be conspicuious to automobile traffic at crossings. The construction of the light case and bracket appears to be quite robust. Is the lens thick/strong enough to withstand strikes from gravel and other road debris?
Do you have a link to a source for the Motolights?
Thanks for the "triangle of light" concept ~ that makes me feel better about the light placement.

Both the light and the hardware seem to be robust and built to withstand reasonable collisions with flying objects.

Here's the link ~ http://www.motolight.com/. Yeah, a bit pricey, but I wanted something built to last.

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 06-12-2011 at 12:09 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Drive less, ride more...

You don't say what the power draw (watts) is for these lamps.

If in fact you had them swap out the 50-watt bulbs for something lower, I'd be curious what wattage they installed.

I'd also be curious to learn what your bike's voltmeter says/does when you turn these new lights on.....

Otherwise, they do look good, even if a bit pricey. Where did you get them installed?

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
I got them installed at Cadre Cycle in Cincinnati. I warned them about the Vulcan's notoriously weak electrical system, and they did the math before installing them. I don't have the specs. I haven't noticed any dimming of the headlights when I flip them on and off ~ i.e. there's no visually noticeable drain/stress on the electrical system. (I'm sure I don't have the 50-watt bulbs.)

EZC

Last edited by EasyRector; 06-12-2011 at 12:33 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
You don't say what the power draw (watts) is for these lamps.

If in fact you had them swap out the 50-watt bulbs for something lower, I'd be curious what wattage they installed.
I'd also be curious to learn what your bike's voltmeter says/does when you turn these new lights on.....

Otherwise, they do look good, even if a bit pricey. Where did you get them installed?
Well ER beat me with the Motolight link between the time I started my first post and the half dozen edits I made, adding links and other info I found on the site.

Theauhawk, in answer to your question, the Motolights come standard with 35 watt, MR16 bulbs with a
lifetime warranty to the original buyer.
Quote:
Motorcycle Riding Lights That Look Great, and Keep you Safe!

MotolightsŪ are motorcycle lights for use on virtually any type of bike. They're easy to install, and come in a variety of mounting options, finishes and bulb types including halogens and LEDs. All Motolights come standard with 35 watt halogen MR16 bulbs that produce a highly visible 8 degree light beam spread. This triangular light beam makes it easier for on coming traffic to see you during the day and night, keeping you and your motorcycle safer. Motolight motorcycle lights also provide you with more illumination at night allowing you to see better, and making you much more visible.

50 watt bulbs are optional, as are amber fog light bulbs. Fog bulbs have only a 1 year warranty.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-12-2011 at 12:45 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 08:58 AM
Giggity!

Garage
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Drive less, ride more...

If you had 35-watt bulbs installed in your motolights, you are most likely ok. I have 35-watt bulbs in my aux headlamps (which are not motolights--but the ChinaMart offerings), and I still get good bike voltmeter readings at most rpms above 1,500 or so.

Still, it might be a great idea for you to shut these Motolights off if you are at a stop light for any real length of time.

Also, it's probably time now for you to add a voltmeter to your bike's list of "farkles". Since you now have a serious draw on your bike's electrical system (beyond factory loadings), it's a good practice to keep an eye on the electrical system's health with a voltmeter. If your stator or r/r should start to fail while you are on a tour (or just out in "the sticks"), you then have the advantage of both knowledge & time to get the bike back to civilization b4 it's too late (and you are then on foot).....

Different attitudes exist here whether you should install one with a digital readout, or instead.....a gauge (like mine).

But the really important thing is to have one. Mine is the chrome-finished Kuryakyn unit, now about $40 with shipping:

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ery-Gauge.aspx

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoSeven View Post
WOW! A bit pricey ! I only paid $800. for the whole damn bike!
lol yea, that's more than half what I payed for mine.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Rider on the Storm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
Also, it's probably time now for you to add a voltmeter to your bike's list of "farkles". Since you now have a serious draw on your bike's electrical system (beyond factory loadings), it's a good practice to keep an eye on the electrical system's health with a voltmeter. If your stator or r/r should start to fail while you are on a tour (or just out in "the sticks"), you then have the advantage of both knowledge & time to get the bike back to civilization b4 it's too late (and you are then on foot).....
Yeah, that has already happened to me once when my stator/rr fried while I was riding in a rural area about 30 miles from home. I feel good about the quality of my replacement parts, but the voltmeter seems like a good insurance policy.

EZC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement