Opinions needed by the pros - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Opinions needed by the pros

I have an 89 with about 30000 miles that I bought a few years ago. I fixed it up myself, mainly carb cleaning, and it's run great since. Yesterday it started to sputter a little on the ride home, once I got it there I shut it down and tried to start it again, no luck it tried but then the dreaded clicking. I charged the battery and tested it,12.2v, started the bike and tested it again while running, 11.0v. I'm hoping it's not the dreaded stator but it doesn't look good to me. I replaced the R&R last summer when I noticed it over charging on my voltmeter. Any ideas? Battery tested good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 PM

Garage
I've got the same problem now and I had just put the Rick's stator in just over 2 months ago. Sent the old stator off in the mail today to Tim Parrot for the rebuild service.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I charged the battery and tested it,12.2v, started the bike and tested it again while running, 11.0v.
Is that 11.0 v at idle or at 4K rpm?
11 volts at idle just after starting the bike could be normal.
11 v at 4k rpm would not bode well for the stator.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Just charged the battery completely and retested, 12.8v battery only...11.8 at idle...12.0 at 4000 rpm. Only a marginal increase at throttle and no where close to what it should be at.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stohlbet View Post
Just charged the battery completely and retested, 12.8v battery only...11.8 at idle...12.0 at 4000 rpm. Only a marginal increase at throttle and no where close to what it should be at.
I'd check your regulator, just to be on the safe side, but it sounds like you've lost a leg (or two) of your stator...

My deepest sympathies...

FWIW, these stories are the ONLY thing keeping me on the fence about buying my old man's 750. I love riding the bike, and have the most sincere regard for it's power to weight ratio, especially as middle weight cruiser's go, but the incessant stator issues leave me on the fence...

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 11:41 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

The stator replacement seems not as daunting since Tuxedo Seven posted his no engine pull, $20 case mod a few months ago.

Granted, when the time comes for a stator on my scoot, I`ll need new balancer dampers and need to pull it anyway.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
sorry to hear this, it doesnt sound good. I would do all the tests to be sure. on the lighter side the stator engine tilt was not as near as bad as I thought. 2 days and 250 bucks, with tuxedos mod it would be a whole lot less on both sides.

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:08 PM

The reviews Ive read online and some in here I would stay away from stators by rick. I did the Tim Parrot one myself. So far very pleased with what I got from him. I had a mess up with the payment and he sent me my stator all fixed and ready to go so i could get my bike running again sooner instead of mailing things back and forth. Then trusted me to get him the money. Then I went with the Mosfet R/R. I would replace both the stator and the R/R. But like mentioned earlier you can OHM out the stator. I bet your headlight dont come on when you start the bike, just a guess.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

I haven't quite decided if it's worth the effort at this point, I may just buy myself the Concours 14, ST1300 or something similar. If I do go that route I'll have lots of spare parts that I've collected over the past couple of years to get rid of. The headlight works fine.

Last edited by stohlbet; 06-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-09-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

Silly question...testing the three yellow wires for the stator, am I testing the male side of the connectors? If so there is a problem with the stator. After thinking about it I might tackle this project even if I decide to get a new bike, the experience would do me good. I think I have another stator lying around I could test too, bought about half a vn750 for $100 when a local junkyards lease ran out. Maybe I'll replace all the old wiring while I'm at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement