blowing fuses! please help - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

blowing fuses! please help

I have been having a lot of trouble this year so far. I was riding and the bike began to run poorly with all lights shutting off. The regulator still being under the bettery box had a lot of batter acid and the connections did not look good. Long story short I just put on a new regulator but now the 30amp fuse is blowing every time I put one in. Why is this? with the key off it will still blow any help would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

You have a short somewhere. Wish I could be more specific about where to start looking.
Does the 30 amp fuse blow as soon as you install it, or does it take a few seconds?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Banned

my guess is you have a dead short someplace. A little investigation with a continuity tester should find the problem. I would start with the white wire leaving the JB.....It goes to both the R/R and the ign. switch. I bet it is grounded someplace.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

It's as soon as I put it in like as I am pushing it in with key off. I'll check them out thanks I was expecting it was because of a short but wasn't sure where to start looking thanks
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
my guess is you have a dead short someplace. A little investigation with a continuity tester should find the problem. I would start with the white wire leaving the JB.....It goes to both the R/R and the ign. switch. I bet it is grounded someplace.
And I'd almost bet money that grounded spot is in the ignition switch wiring harness, where it goes around the steering head to the bracket where it plugs into the rest of the harness; wouldn't be the first time I've seen that on these bikes.

I've also got a wiring harness out of an '86 out in the shed, that the white wire and a black/yellow ground wire are melted together right where the main harness crossed the frame under the seat.

The absolute best place to start tracking electrical problems like this is with a continuity tester, DVM, and the manual with a wiring diagram.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
And I'd almost bet money that grounded spot is in the ignition switch wiring harness, where it goes around the steering head to the bracket where it plugs into the rest of the harness; wouldn't be the first time I've seen that on these bikes.

I've also got a wiring harness out of an '86 out in the shed, that the white wire and a black/yellow ground wire are melted together right where the main harness crossed the frame under the seat.

The absolute best place to start tracking electrical problems like this is with a continuity tester, DVM, and the manual with a wiring diagram.
This!

2004 VN750 "Rosanna"
Acquired March 6, 2010

Done:
NGK Iridium Plugs
NGK Caps
Big Crank ETX15L AGM Battery
Battery Tender Jr. w/Pigtail
Marbled
Rear Spline Lubed
Front Spine/U-Joint Lubed
Metzeler ME 880's
Brake Fluid Flushed, Filled, and Bled
Saddlemen Studded Saddlebags and Tank Bib
Installed 12 Volt Power Outlet
Debaffled
R/R Relocated flightcontrol Style

Pending
N/A... I'm Going Ridin'
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 04:08 PM

I have a question. Do you know if the fuse was blowing before you changed the regulator? The way I read what you said maybe it started after u changed the regulator. However maybe the fuse blew and then your problems started. You could try disconnecting the R/R plug and see if your fuse still blows, if it doesnt you may have a bad R/R. If it is definatly is a wire problem you need to get some schematics. You would have to review more then one since a single schematic does not tell the whole story, for example the ignition schematic will only show in referance to the ignition, the charging schematic in referance to the charging. There are several connectors through out the harness, looking at the schematics you could systematicly disconnect connectors and see if the fuse still blows doing this you can eliminate where the problem is or is not. WARNING its probably not a good idea to keep subjecting your wires to a shorted condition. So you can check continuity from the system side of the fuse or use the WHT wire on the JB 8 pin connector to ground then do what I mentioned earlier to isolate where the problem is. FYI this wire also goes to both cylinder ignition coils and the IC Ignitor, so i would disconnect these along with the R/R to take these components out of the equation. Please let us know what you found
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Banned

IIRC, if the key is off there is only one circuit after the 30A fuse that is 'hot' and that's the white wire leaving the JB. It goes from there and splits off to the R/R and feeds the ign switch. Your problem is in this circuit. Should be easy to find.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
I have a question. Do you know if the fuse was blowing before you changed the regulator? The way I read what you said maybe it started after u changed the regulator. However maybe the fuse blew and then your problems started. You could try disconnecting the R/R plug and see if your fuse still blows, if it doesnt you may have a bad R/R. If it is definatly is a wire problem you need to get some schematics. You would have to review more then one since a single schematic does not tell the whole story, for example the ignition schematic will only show in referance to the ignition, the charging schematic in referance to the charging. There are several connectors through out the harness, looking at the schematics you could systematicly disconnect connectors and see if the fuse still blows doing this you can eliminate where the problem is or is not. WARNING its probably not a good idea to keep subjecting your wires to a shorted condition. So you can check continuity from the system side of the fuse or use the WHT wire on the JB 8 pin connector to ground then do what I mentioned earlier to isolate where the problem is. FYI this wire also goes to both cylinder ignition coils and the IC Ignitor, so i would disconnect these along with the R/R to take these components out of the equation. Please let us know what you found
This has started after the replacement.... The bike does turnover without the regulator hooked up, so what would that mean? I have had two diffrent regulators and both have the same problem with the fuse blowing
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Blows when the black/yellow wire is hooked up. The rest can be hooked up and it's fine as soon as black/yellow is it blows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement