Double wammy! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

Double wammy!

Looks like I'm going to have to install a stator and a rectifier! Both failed tests. Anything I should do while I'm inside replacing stator? What else will I need as far as gaskets and stuff goes? Also should I go MOSFET for the rectifier instead? I've heard guys going that route. Any suggestions? Probably will do a volt gadge as well. Wish me luck! Ill try and document as I go to help others down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 02:52 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

If you decide to go with the OEM style R/R.....I have one I am trying to sell.....only 500 miles on it....comes with Aluminum relocation bracket and S.S. hardware. all for 75.00 that includes shipping.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
link in my sig should have all the gaskets for the stator if you drop the engine, might look into doing the cover mod though!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:06 PM

Just did my stator. Do you have a manual? So you can get torque values and some bolts require non permenant thread locker. Also if you have a digital camera take alot of photos as you do your tear down so you can refer to them during the build up. I would also change the R/R from what I understand it is possible it could of contributed to the stator going bad. I went with the mosfet R/R. I have a post on here "My mosfet Install". You can read how i did mine, plus there are a few photos. Good luck.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
I have a post on here "My mosfet Install". You can read how i did mine, plus there are a few photos. Good luck.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

Stator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
Just did my stator. Do you have a manual? So you can get torque values and some bolts require non permenant thread locker. Also if you have a digital camera take alot of photos as you do your tear down so you can refer to them during the build up. I would also change the R/R from what I understand it is possible it could of contributed to the stator going bad. I went with the mosfet R/R. I have a post on here "My mosfet Install". You can read how i did mine, plus there are a few photos. Good luck.
What stator brand did u install? Thanks for the advise!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Over mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wib714 View Post
link in my sig should have all the gaskets for the stator if you drop the engine, might look into doing the cover mod though!
What's the cover mod?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:07 AM

I sent my bad stator to a guy named Tim Parrot he sent me a rewound one that he does. I learned about him from on here. There is a link http://tpe-usa.com/. Cost me $85.00 from Tim. The cover mod there talking about is to modify the left hand engine cover so you dont have to pull the engine to replace the stator. Since this is the first time for you im not sure but you may have to pull the engine anyway. There is a couple links on here one is a do it yourself and the other is having some one else do it at a machine shop ($400.00). Me personally i was not going to take a dremal tool and cut up my side cover. The only thing is if I have to replace the stator again I would have to pull my engine again.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Cover mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifixf18s View Post
I sent my bad stator to a guy named Tim Parrot he sent me a rewound one that he does. I learned about him from on here. There is a link http://tpe-usa.com/. Cost me $85.00 from Tim. The cover mod there talking about is to modify the left hand engine cover so you dont have to pull the engine to replace the stator. Since this is the first time for you im not sure but you may have to pull the engine anyway. There is a couple links on here one is a do it yourself and the other is having some one else do it at a machine shop ($400.00). Me personally i was not going to take a dremal tool and cut up my side cover. The only thing is if I have to replace the stator again I would have to pull my engine again.
Oh ya I've read about the cover mod. Sounds like a good idea. I'll probably do that at some point. I know I'll have to pull the engine tho. Did u do ur urself. I've never worked on a motorcycle besides changing oil and basic servicing. Really stressing over it. I've got a mechanic who's willing to do it but was wondering if I should attempt myself to get familiar with the bike. Seems like there is a lot to do to these bikes and should just tackle these jobs myself or it's going to get too exspensive and time consuming to take to a mechanic each time.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 11:28 AM

I did the job myself. Ive been working on aircraft for almost 30 years so it wasnt that bad for me, however I still stressed over it a little myself since it was something new to me as well. Do you have a manual? There is one on the link I added here so you can download it for free, PDF format 117M file size. If you mechanicly inclined you should be able to do it. There is alot of things to disconnect you may want to take notes and refer to them when your reconnecting stuff. Make sure you get some help removing that engine. there is a thing on the bike called a "subframe" its on the right side of the bike it a section of the frame gets that can be removed. I used a floor jack with a board on it, was a bit wobbley. plus i could not lift it myself. I put the engine on a work bench. I didnt need any special tools except for a torque wrench. If you have a digital camera take alot of photos, will help you when putting it back together. It would be to much for me to try to explain it all on here. Just pay attention to what your doing and be safe. If you have a problem there are alot of guys on here that can help. One specific problem i had was with the bevel gear case, my clutch lever (Clutch cable attatches to it) got turned around so many times it messed up the drive pin in the gearcase. Try to secure it when you remove the gearcase so it dont spin around. Anyway I could just keep going. Keep us posted

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Products.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement