Three Wire Turn Signal vs Two Wire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Wants forward controls...

Three Wire Turn Signal vs Two Wire

Just a quick question from someone more wiring inclined than myself.
When replacing my battery today, I noticed a spare wire on my right rear signal. While all the other signals are factory, this one was definitely aftermarket (wiring colors were different) and there was a third wire not connected to anything, which I assume is a ground.
Is this a problem? Should it be replaced with a two wire signal? Should the wire be spliced into the ground? Am I overreacting to problem that doesn't exist?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 03:22 PM

Wink Third Wire

The front turnsignals have a third wire because theyare also running lights. It could be that the replacemant light is a front light.

Enjoy the Ride

Mcneuby
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Mcneuby nailed it, if your sigals are otherwise functioning fine - fuhgettaboutit...

'98 VN750, Mustang Seat, F&S Engine Guards, Highway pegs, Pro-Tac backrest, Harley 58121-85B windshield lowers, Autometer 3391 voltmeter, ACCT to MCCT, pickup coils at 0.020", Coasters, National Cycle N2220, Vista Cruise Universal, Single Filter Ear Shave, Givi Monokey Sidebag Mounts, Givi E21 side bags, Knifemaker style turn signal relocation, helmet locks relocated.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Old Truck Junkie

If you were to install red lenses on the rear signals, you can connect the third wire and run them as you do the front lights.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 PM

niterider...does that mean that brake light isn't lit at night when lights are on, like they are on a car, unless you hit the brake? probably newb question..but I have no idea. I'd definitely want to wire up some red lights to rear of bike then that are rear running lights for night time.

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Banned

The rear brake is also a running light. You can convert your rear signals to turn/run or turn/brake with a three wire set-up and red lenses. Or do what I did and get 'Dynamic Clusters' and convert the rear turns to turn/run/brake LED's.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 09:41 PM

To be more specific on what dariv said, the taillight is a running/brake light (3-wire). The rear signals are turn signals only (2-wire). The front signals are running lights and turn signals (3-wire).

Your main taillight is a running light, but a lot of people like to modify the existing rear signals or add other lights to act as running lights. Having multiple points of light in the rear helps others to better gauge the location and speed of your bike, as opposed to just the single taillight.

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Thx for the replies guys!! I definitely will look into either adding extra lights on the back for sure and/or wiring the rear turn signals as suggested. I live about 10 miles out of town off of a busy, but dark road, near a major lake, so even night driving in a cage is tricky sometimes. It's the main road back to Memphis for all the folks partying at the lake. Definitely want to make sure I'm absolutely lit up for driving that road at night!!

New rider/mechanic of '85 VN700 Vulcan. (25k miles)

Link to bike restoration blog:
http://trailofthewolf.blogspot.com/s...%20Restoration
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The three wire light sockets will allow you to run a dual filament bulb (1157) with the dimmer filament on as a running light (one of the wires + ground) and the heavy or bright filament (other wire + ground) as your brake light or turn signal. The two wire sets have a single filament bulb (1156) and are typically for just running lights or just signals. On the 750 the 2 wire rear signals are signals only. It would be really easy to replace them (one of them since you obviously have a new 3 wire on one side) and wire them with running lights and signals with the red lenses on them.
To find the wires to connect each signal wire to, use one of the simple 12 volt test lights with your seat off and the key turned on and you can figure out which wires feed which signal, which one to tie into for running light and which is the brake light by hooking the alligator clip to a ground and poking each wire with the pointed end as you function through the turn signals and brake light etc.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
knees in the breeze!!!

oh btw its hard to find 3 wire signals on ebay ive been looking for some and 3 wire dominates

http://map.vulcan750.net/

VROC# 33976
1994 VN750

MODS SO FAR:
honda shadow 750 sissybar
ear shaved, K&N pods
142/42 jets, Cobra pipes
oversized tires, vn800 seat
vn750 rad cover, Tank bib
custom mirrors, gel battery
led dash lights, led tail light
led plate light, chrome levers