93 without spark - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

93 without spark

After my adventure with the 85 I couldn't resist another one. Here were my issues with the 85: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9427. I hope the issue with the 93 isn't as complicated.

Prob is no spark on any plug. I did a search on here and didn't find any posts that addressed my prob. I have looked at the troubleshooting guide in the manual.

The battery is fully charged and the motor cranks fine. I have a good stop switch i.e. there is continuity in the run position. I checked all the fuses. I have a spare ignitor box I swapped into it and still no spark. I have a neutral light.

The manual says the prob may also be the neutral, starter lockout, or sidestand switch or the pickup coil. I have not tested them. But I don't understand how any of them could cause a no spark condition. Is there anyone on here that can explain that?

Is there anything else obvious that would cause no spark on all plugs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 01:22 AM

bad or improperly connected coils, maybe?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 02:31 AM
Old Truck Junkie

If the nuetral switch is not grounding, you will not get a spark at the plugs. If you have a nuetral light that should be okay. It is a safety switch that keeps the bike from starting in gear.

02 honda sabre 1100

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

There is no spark unless the voltage at pin 5 (BK/W wire) of the 6-pin igniter connector is less than about 1V. Or, if you don't have a multimeter, splice that wire to ground and test spark then.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Here is something you could check as well, with the ignition switch "on" and the engine stop switch to run, there should be Battery voltage on the red wires that goes to each of the ignition coils and to the 6 pin connector of the IC. The BLK/Y wire on the ic should be ground. I dont know what the pick-up coils do exaclty but i wonder if those could be at fault. On the 4 pin connector of the IC the BLK/Y and the BLK wires go to the front cyc pick up coil, blk/W and blk/R go to the rear. Pick up coil resistance should be
355-535 Ohms.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I think I found the prob and I am NOT happy. The pickup coils read zero resistance. I compared my readings on them to pickup coils on another 750 motor I have. Those read about 450 Ohms. These readings are across each pair of leads which I think is the right way to measure since the other measurement in the manual is between each lead and chassis ground which I did not do.

Can anyone answer how both pickup coils could be bad? One I could understand although the fix is the same - r&r the motor! Any tricks to r&r the motor?

I did go through the interlock switches tests and they were all good.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 04:36 PM

You have a digital camera? I took photos of anyhting i think i might need to referance when I pulled my engine. Cant take enought photos. I would make sure the wiring to the coils look ok. Heck if your gonna pull the motor to replace your coils you may want to replace the stator while your in there if your stator is old. Lots of post on here about stators going out probably cuz you need to remove the motor also for that. then the R/R also, but i dont know your situation. just a thought. I have a post on here "my headlight problem just got worse" there is a link on there someone sent me for a free downloadable manual (PDF) format. if you dont have a manual atleast get that.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 PM

Might also wanna look into the mod that lets you change out the stator without removing the engine... might come in handy one day.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Before I replace the coils I am going to do one more check to see if the wires from the pick up coils are good. I still can't believe both pickup coils went bad at the same time.

If I do have to buy pick up coils for it, I see some sets on Ebay for about $10 to $50 when I search on "vulcan (pick-up coil, pulse generator)". Anyone know what coils I can use i.e. any year VN700/750, or any other models of Vulcan?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 05:43 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrayvick View Post
Before I replace the coils I am going to do one more check to see if the wires from the pick up coils are good. I still can't believe both pickup coils went bad at the same time.

If I do have to buy pick up coils for it, I see some sets on Ebay for about $10 to $50 when I search on "vulcan (pick-up coil, pulse generator)". Anyone know what coils I can use i.e. any year VN700/750, or any other models of Vulcan?
Any year vn700/750 will work. Don`t know about any other models.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement