Possible over charging! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Possible over charging!

If my Heads-Up voltmeter is to be believed, I am overcharging indicated by a Flashing Green LED. Strangely it only happens when in gear and moving. I can't duplicate it in neutral or sitting still. I'll be checking for loose connections when I get home.
Additional thoughts/suggestions?

Last edited by VoIPDoc; 05-25-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Your Heads Up link doesn`t work for me.
What is the minimum voltage required to get the overcharge flashing green LED signal?
Is there any way to hook up a digital meter temporarily for a test ride?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Calif Rider

Like ohass said you need to check out the voltage with a regular meter. When I use to get a high reading it was a bad connection before I soldered all connection. I would get a high voltage reading until it was cleaned up.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Your Heads Up link doesn`t work for me.
Gordon, Link corrected.

Didn't have the issue coming home, but took the time to check/clean every electrical connector I could access. Took another ride...was still working fine. Odd.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:01 PM

Same is happening to me, I drive and voltmeter shows 15.6 volts, problem is I have all the wires to R/R soldered and shrink wrapped.... so it cannot be a bad connector for sure..... any ideas guys, also noticed that with the headlight on the voltage goes down to 13.x volts.... is this normal or bad news?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 01:51 AM

Hi Voip doc,
so you managed to find the problem? I still can`t think from where it could be as all my connectors are gone, I cut,soldered and shrink wrapped all wires and even the R/R has no connector... wires go directly in it, its an aftermarket. Voltmeter shows upto about 15.6V while moving and @ 4000 rpm, bike standing still and rev @ 4000 doesn`t go past 14.4 volts...very strange....by the way my headlight is turned off as I have connected a switch, with headlight on, idle goes from 12 to 13v .... someone thinks its a bad R/R or still some bad connection somewhere?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malteser66 View Post
Hi Voip doc,
so you managed to find the problem? I still can`t think from where it could be as all my connectors are gone, I cut,soldered and shrink wrapped all wires and even the R/R has no connector... wires go directly in it, its an aftermarket. Voltmeter shows upto about 15.6V while moving and @ 4000 rpm, bike standing still and rev @ 4000 doesn`t go past 14.4 volts...very strange....by the way my headlight is turned off as I have connected a switch, with headlight on, idle goes from 12 to 13v .... someone thinks its a bad R/R or still some bad connection somewhere?
Wish I knew more about the stator & R/R...that said, I would connect a digital meter and compare voltages. Beyond that, I would need professional help....electrically of course
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM

Yep, I think that I am going to need professional mental help myself soon.......ahh bloody electrics, in 20 days I have a bike overland trip with a Honda buddy and he`s been cheeky all the time saying that Kawas are not up to standard. For him that`s easy to say when he`s got just a 2 year old Hornet 900 from new. But since I am a way more experienced driver I can stay with him almost all the time and can beat him in the twisties too with my dinosaur tech bike, and you have to see his face later lol. Anyway I love my bike, can`t part with it (cost me too much blood,tears,sweat,swearing and money and I will have to find me some time next week to tear everything apart and start checking all connections. I also ordered a Shindengen FH012AA R/R Kit from ebay so need be it, I also change my current R/R....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement