starter stuck? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

starter stuck?

Hello everyone. First post here. This site has been extremely helpful in my conquest to revive this old bike, but I've recently come across a problem that I can't find an answer to. I have an 85 VN700 that I recently got running again. Took it on a little ride (about 35 miles) and had to stop for a train. It died, and I can't get it to start again. I got it back to the house in the back of a truck, but the battery was dead from trying to start it. Put it on the trickly charger, and the next morning, the battery was still dead, and so was the charger. I hooked it up to my truck with the engine off, and can hear the what I assume is the starter stuck half way or something. I think that I have a short somewhere causing the starter to want to spin, but it only makes a buzzing now. Any help with this one?

new to me 85 VN700 - all stock (for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 PM

From what i understand batterys last only so long, and these bikes need 100% charge to start and run right. That may be your first step. Next i would try and disconnect the starter and reconnect it. Be sure to clean all the connections to the starter and battery, including the negitive, this could cause problems aswell. i have also heard you can fry your system some how my jumping it. good luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Try clamping the ground jumper cable onto the frame and touch the positive jumper clamp directly onto the Positive (+)terminal on the bottom of the starter body. If it turns over and starts, you know the starter itself is ok.

If not then maybe you need a rebuild kit for about $30 off ebay.

Or we can test the switches, relay and wiring etc.

The trickle charger or battery tender may not have enough capacity to charge a deeply discharged battery. You need one that will charge at 1.5 to 2 amps for this battery. Don`t go bigger or you will warp the battery plates by overheating.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-24-2011 at 07:22 PM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

The battery is only about 2 weeks old. I bought a brand new one when I bought the bike. I wish I wouldv'e known about this site before hand, and I would have bought a maintenance free battery. I've got it on a 1.5 amp charger right now to get a good charge on the battery. I'll try to hook a jumper up directly to the starter when I get off of work and see what she does, and post back later. Thank you both for the insight.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

When you press the start button, does the relay under the right side cover click just once?
Any possibility the buzzing is coming from there and not the starter?
A partially discharged battery might cause a buzzing in either location I suppose. ??

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Had to work late last night, and didn't get a chance to try jumping straight to the starter.

OlHoss, I don't even touch the starter button. As soon as I hook the battery up, I can hear the buzzing sound. If I don't have to work late again tonight, I'll pay closer attention to where the sound is coming from, and try jumping straight to the starter terminal.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_rel View Post
Had to work late last night, and didn't get a chance to try jumping straight to the starter.

OlHoss, I don't even touch the starter button. As soon as I hook the battery up, I can hear the buzzing sound. If I don't have to work late again tonight, I'll pay closer attention to where the sound is coming from, and try jumping straight to the starter terminal.
Something is definitely not right if the buzzing occurs w/o touching the start button.

This is a long shot, but quick and easy to do, so try these--

Try turning the key on and off a few times.
Flick the engine run/kill switch a few times. (Cleans any corrosion off contacts)
Tap the start button housing ( and the electrical "puck" on the bottom of the ignition switch) with a screwdriver handle or blade. Maybe the contacts are partially sticking together.

Check that the clutch and side stand safety switches are moving freely, and the neutral light is on.

What is your battery voltage after charging it?
Is the battery electrolyte level between the low and full lines?

Have the vendor do a load test on your "new" battery.
Ask if you can pay the difference and trade up to a MF-AGM battery.

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Sorry guys, it's been a hectic past couple of weeks for me, and I haven't had a chance to mess with the bike until today. I finally got to try to jump the starter off of my truck battery (engine off). The starter spins fine that way. I am going to try to mess with the switches like you suggested. With any luck, that's all that it is.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

After playing with the switches a little bit, I decided to hook the jumper cables directly to the battery wires. She is acting normal again. Reconnected the wires to the battery, and still acting normal. Maybe I'll finally get to ride her a little while today.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

finally got to ride her for a bit this weekend. did an r/r relocate on it too. rode it for about 40 miles, and about a mile from home came to a redlight, and she died. couldn't get her to start back up. the battery seemed weak. stator maybe? i also noticed that it looked like there was some fuel leaking from the rear carb (couldn't tell wear though). any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement