Funky ""POOG" issue? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Funky ""POOG" issue?

I've been reading about the POOG symtoms that occure at low fuel intervals, my weird thing is during the ride when its poping and sputtering, if I turn on the turn signals it will correct itself inbetween signal pulses, turn if off and problem is back.....was-up wit dat?....Also is the vaccuum port on the right side carb suposed to be blocked off?, on my 85 vn 700 with ear shaved, K&N pods,and straight pipes, no goat belly, or cross over for that matter..please help..anything helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If it happens as you say, it is not are normal POOGS.... which is not electrical. So I would say yours is, and may be a bad coil or a loose wire in the ignition circuit.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 02:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
If it happens as you say, it is not are normal POOGS.... which is not electrical. So I would say yours is, and may be a bad coil or a loose wire in the ignition circuit.

KM
Thanks KM,
but i can run the crap out of it in the garage and she purrs like a kitten, idles great, until I head out . Then she starts acting up, spittin, choaking and popping. All when the fuel gauge is at the top of the red, plenty. Thanks

RYNO

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Check the vacuum line going to the back of the right airbox.

If you have a bad connection it might not do anything with the bike sitting still. You move, it shakes or vibrates from the wind, and acts up.

A shorting wire can be a bitch to find.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-18-2011, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

where would that right side vent hose go since it's been shaved.? Right now it's capped off. Should it connect back up to the "T" inbetween the carbs?, there is one side of that T that is open....also, should the vent nipple under the gas cap(by the hinge) have a recipticle or vent hose to go into ? cause right now there is nothing.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 08:44 AM

The "T" should be connected between the carbs and then off to a filter.. it should not be capped... the right side vent line needs to be capped though... if your tank has a nipple on the rear of the tank it needs a hose ran from it to under the seat and out near the rear tire.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
I would check you vent line. Make sure that it's not plugged and hiding away from moving air. Good spot would be filtered and put where your fresh air valve used to be under the seat.

Had the EXACT same problem (minus the turn signal anomaly) last night and this was the culprit...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Git-R-Done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
The "T" should be connected between the carbs and then off to a filter.. it should not be capped... the right side vent line needs to be capped though...
So clock, just to clarify - you are saying the T itself should not be capped, but the right side vent hose should?

As far as I understand, the right and left side vent hoses go into the T, and then the one hose that comes off of it is supposed to go to the back of the right ear (if it were there), correct? I guess I am a little confused on this one.

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssdncr View Post
I would check you vent line. Make sure that it's not plugged and hiding away from moving air. Good spot would be filtered and put where your fresh air valve used to be under the seat.

Had the EXACT same problem (minus the turn signal anomaly) last night and this was the culprit...
Yes, you should try an route it to someplace where there is still air. Air when the bike is moving can pass over an open hose end and change the air pressure inside the hose ( see how atomizers work ) so ... You don't want that to happen.

Up behind the steering neck under the gas tank is another good spot.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Kev View Post
So clock, just to clarify - you are saying the T itself should not be capped, but the right side vent hose should?

As far as I understand, the right and left side vent hoses go into the T, and then the one hose that comes off of it is supposed to go to the back of the right ear (if it were there), correct? I guess I am a little confused on this one.

AZ Kev
The T should be between the carbs.. 2 short hoses (1 from each carb) go into the T and then a long hose should go to the right ear.. this one should be filtered if you are shaved... the only one to be capped comes off of the right side carb (nipple on the outside bottom of right carb)... the hose orignaly went to the air valve under the seat but now has no where to go so it must be capped off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement