Name:	DSC_0474.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	3741

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0473.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	3742If anyone is wondering how to do the Mosfet R/R install received from Roadstercycles, here is how i did mine. I removed the stock R/R and put the mosfet in the same place, it bolts right up. Im told the R/R runs cooler so im not all about the relocation thing. I removed the bolts holding the battery holder so it could be moved some to give me a bit more room during the install. To aid in bolting up the new one I stuffed my socket with paper so the bolt would not fall all the way inside the socket, was easier to use the socket to hold the bolt in place while i started the bolt. Then rebolted up the battery holder. Following the instructions I recieved I cut the stator wires at the connector, crimped and soldered them into the new contacts, I like to use a little bit of Flux when soldering, then clean off the flux residue with alcohol and a small brush after the joint has cooled, Flux can be corrosive. I cut the other 3 wires, used some heat shrink caps folded them over and taped them up. I installed the Battery wires in the same mannor, however the blue seals that came with the kit did not work to well on the bigger wires so I used some electrical grade RTV to fill in around the wires. I routed the wires on part of the frame that goes across the bike just forward of the R/R, doubled back on the Black wire making it go thur the plastic strap twice and routed it straight up. The Red wire continued to the right side. After connecting the terminals to the circuit breaker i also incased them in the RTV and installed the red cover. After cleaning the surfaces with alcohol I Mounted the circuit breaker just under the reserve Lighting device with some good double sided tape. I finished routing the black wire along the existing harness. I cleaned up the ground point, used a very small amout of dialectric grease and attatched it to the chassis at the same point the Neg battery wire attatches. The red wire I ran up just behind the IC Ignighter followed the exsiting harness and will connect it to the battery. It did cross my mind to attatch it to the Starter relay where the battery wire attatches. Note I temp installed everything setting up my wire lengths how i wanted them and built up the wire harness off the bike, when the RTV was set up I installed the harness as a whole. there are a few photos for referance. Hope this helps someone do there Mod.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 06-05-2011 at 08:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2011, 10:38 PM

Nice write-up!

05 VN750
Iridium Plugs
Spline Lubed front/rear
ignition pickups gapped
AGM Battery
Relocated MOSFET R/R
Coaster Mod
Pilot Screws at 2-1/4 turns
Slipstreamer S-08 Windshield
F&S Saddlebags/Mounts
Luggage Rack
12V Outlet
Mustang Seat
sissy bar
Oversized Pirelli Front Tire
6k miles

PW50, XR50, TTR90, XR100, DT175 (2-smoker), CRF230F, XR250R (dual sported), XR400R 4 KIDS, LOL!

1966 mustang street/strip
4-speed, nitrous
[email protected] 135.6
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 08:11 AM
Drive less, ride more...

THANKS SO MUCH for this post, and your attention to detail--with pics!....

What was the hardest part of this project (in your opinion), and what do the rest of us need to do to prep for it?

Are you satisfied with the new r/r and its performance?

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Over all it was pretty easy, Getting the new R/R mounted gave me a bit of trouble because of the lack of room, un bolting the battery box helped out alot, and stuffing my socket with a bit of paper to help support the bolt, not to much where the head of the bolt wont mate up to the inside of the socket. I had a solder assist tool to help hold the wires while i soldered the lugs. One problem I had is I put the alligator clip to close to the terminal when i soldered it, You have to keep the heat on terminal a bit longer then i would of liked so the solder flows nice and you get a good connection. The insulation started to melt some which caused the alligator to start digging into the insulation. So i moved it further back when holding the other wires. Not to much with the prep, good proper tools at hand always helps with any job and keep that solder tip cleaned and tinned through out, helps greatly with heat transfer. I have not started the bike yet. This all started out as a bad stator and i decided to replace my R/R just incase the stock one contrubuted to the Stator failing. I just got antifreeze back in the engine, Oil and installing the Exhaust are next hopefully will starter-up this weekend.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 05-17-2011 at 05:06 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Giggity!

Garage
How about an update on the voltage performance. Are you getting the "almost" 14 VDC at idle?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Wareagle1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by theauhawk View Post
THANKS SO MUCH for this post, and your attention to detail--with pics!....

What was the hardest part of this project (in your opinion), and what do the rest of us need to do to prep for it?

Are you satisfied with the new r/r and its performance?
Where in SW Georgia do you live? My dad lives in Albany, GA.

I assume the AU in your user name is for Auburn?

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Wareagle1970

Got my Mosfet R/R today in the mail!!! Thanks for the awesome write-up.

2003 VN750 de-goated
Kuryakyn ISO Grips
Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
coastered
R/R relocated
Slipstreamer Hellfire windshield
Shindengen Mosfet R/R
Kawasaki Engine Guard
Fire & Steel Footpegs
Need Knifemaker to make me a seat like his

Hickory, NC
Sponsored Links