newby and i really need help please - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

Cool newby and i really need help please

well to start out i have a 94 vulcan 750, bought it for 600 hundred last year and got it road worthy and etc. I have a problem with the bike starting sometimes, specially when the engine is hot. No problem it push starts just fine. Well i bought a battery tender to charge every night to insure my legs don't get too much of a workout. It came with a pigtail to hook up to your battery so that you don't have to take off the seat everytime, and during the day i could just tuck in. Well today i went to start it and it seemed dead so i grabbed the jumper box, still nothing, so i jumped it off with my car. It fired up on the first crank, ok. Adjust my idle and then discard the booster cables, as soon as i took the booster cables off it starting acting crazy. Misfiring and the tac was going crazy about to die. I killed it to further investigate, and found that my pigtail grounded out on my + side of the battery. Did it fry my battery or something else? Please help, I spent all day today scrubbing black paint off of all the chrome they painted over and now my fingers hurt and I feel high off of the fumes and all I can do is wonder how or what i should test early in the morning tomorrow I'm sure someone has had this problem before. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by michaeldavis77; 05-14-2011 at 01:53 AM. Reason: mis spelled
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Either your bike does not charge properly or your battery was no good in the first place. I believe it is the latter. If you ride regularly, you don't have to use a battery tender during riding season. Get a new good battery.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Old Fart

Garage
An AGM battery would have solved all your problems.

Jumping it off your car may have fried some of your electrics.....especially if you had the car running.

You need to yank the battery and have it load tested..... Were me, I would just replace it.

Hopefully you did not damage any of your electrical components.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 AM

Fully charge your battery again.. sounds like it was just gournded out like you found.. you should be ok.. the reason it bickfired and what not was due to not having a chanrg on the battery... our bikes only run off of the battery at idle....but yes as KN said.. get an AGM battery.. way better than a wet cell.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Here's a good USA made one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...d=232198159420

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-14-2011, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

well folks ya'll were right my battery fried, got a new one(wet cell, because i can drive it today no waiting) and she fired right up no problems. Thanks, as for my charging I'm showing 14 volts when idled at 2500, so I guess thats good. Got it on the road and hit 90 with no problems. It does seem to backfire a little in between down shifting. I have after market pipes with no baffles, is this normal? Other than that, loving it. Now back to taking the black spray paint off the chrome and to the sanding to make it a red orange color, I think. thanks alot ya'll!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
If you have an Advance Auto nearby, you can get the same battery locally for $45. https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15932

1985 VN700 A1 (Sold) | 2009 Ninja 500R EX500D9F
VROC #32761
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Sounded like he went with the cheap battery, so did i at first. Less then two years later i was getting a nice maint free one. good luck to him. hope he remembers to constanly take off his seat to check the fluid level in that batt.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldavis77 View Post
well folks ya'll were right my battery fried, got a new one(wet cell, because i can drive it today no waiting) and she fired right up no problems. Thanks, as for my charging I'm showing 14 volts when idled at 2500, so I guess thats good. Got it on the road and hit 90 with no problems. It does seem to backfire a little in between down shifting. I have after market pipes with no baffles, is this normal? Other than that, loving it. Now back to taking the black spray paint off the chrome and to the sanding to make it a red orange color, I think. thanks alot ya'll!!!
To cure the backfiring take the aluminum caps off the air/fuel mixture screws and adjust them out (richer).
Start at 2 1/2 turns out, and adjust another 1/4 turn between each test drive until the popping stops or reduces to a satisfactory level.
Maximum adjustent is ~ 3 1/2 turns out, as they will fall out at 5 turns.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement