Electrical Diagram how to read? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Electrical Diagram how to read?

I find the more I read in here the more I learn, but I need someone to help explain what is, I am sure, very basic when it comes to posted Electrical Diagrams.

I saw a post by fergy "Coil Wiring and Relay mod"

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=Relay

and he does a great job explaining how he did a basic auto relay showing pictures on his bike and a diagram. His is not the first wiring diagram that I have seen, but when I see the diagrams with wires going to a square with numbers I need help finding that square on the bike.

If it is something very simple like a circuit breaker box in a house that has all the numbers than the wiring diagram will make a lot more sense.

If it is that simple do these diagrams I have seen stating:
86- Power Lead From Switch
85- Ground For Relay
30- Power Lead From Battery
87- Power Lead From Relay

mean those numbers are clearly visible and you just stick the wire in a hole next to the number? How is the wire secured? Does it require soldering? Or is it some kind of use a pin to release a latch stick the wire in and remove the pin to re-set the latch on the wire?

Or are there wires already in the holes identified by the numbered wiring diagram and you have to find a way to put more than one wire in there. Is that possible? How would that be accomplished?

A picture on the bike showing the referenced square in the wiring diagrams with the numbers and where I can find it myself would be a great help.

I did not see anyone asking this, but need some basic help to resolve my ignorance. I am sure there are lurkers out there who would appreciate responses to all this too.

Thanks for the help everyone,

-Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:05 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnGnts View Post
I find the more I read in here the more I learn, but I need someone to help explain what is, I am sure, very basic when it comes to posted Electrical Diagrams.

I saw a post by fergy "Coil Wiring and Relay mod"

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ighlight=Relay

and he does a great job explaining how he did a basic auto relay showing pictures on his bike and a diagram. His is not the first wiring diagram that I have seen, but when I see the diagrams with wires going to a square with numbers I need help finding that square on the bike.

If it is something very simple like a circuit breaker box in a house that has all the numbers than the wiring diagram will make a lot more sense.

If it is that simple do these diagrams I have seen stating:
85- Ground For Relay

mean those numbers are clearly visible and you just stick the wire in a hole next to the number? How is the wire secured? Does it require soldering? Or is it some kind of use a pin to release a latch stick the wire in and remove the pin to re-set the latch on the wire?

Or are there wires already in the holes identified by the numbered wiring diagram and you have to find a way to put more than one wire in there. Is that possible? How would that be accomplished?

A picture on the bike showing the referenced square in the wiring diagrams with the numbers and where I can find it myself would be a great help.

I did not see anyone asking this, but need some basic help to resolve my ignorance. I am sure there are lurkers out there who would appreciate responses to all this too.

Thanks for the help everyone,

-Eric

the square box is an automotive relay that you buy yourself at an automotive supply and add to your bike.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Things are starting to make sense now

The box is the relay something like this attached picture. It uses slightly different numbers from the mentioned:

85- Ground For Relay

So if I went to a basic automotive store and asked for a 4 prong relay with 86, 85, 30, 87 terminals they can point me in the correct direction without looking like an idiot? Or is there another way to ask for the mentioned relays referenced in the diagrams on this forum?

-Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basicrelay.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	3731  

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrnGnts View Post
Things are starting to make sense now

The box is the relay something like this attached picture. It uses slightly different numbers from the mentioned:

85- Ground For Relay

So if I went to a basic automotive store and asked for a 4 prong relay with 86, 85, 30, 87 terminals they can point me in the correct direction without looking like an idiot? Or is there another way to ask for the mentioned relays referenced in the diagrams on this forum?

-Eric
Most are numbered this way,and they should be able to help you,asking when you don't know is always best,better to ask a foolish question than not ask one at all ,thereby,being foolish.If you go to the electrical section at advance or autozone or whatever you will see the automotive relays and you can probably see the numbers on the relay ,either By the prongs or on the top,if not then ask ,they are there to help you when needed and have been asked a lot dumber questions than that I'm sure. What you are looking for is a normally open relay with four prongs even if the numbers are different,ask for that and then we will decipher whatever numbers are on it.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 05-13-2011 at 10:29 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:21 PM

take a look at this thread.. near the bottem.. it should help you out.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=13417&page=6
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
take a look at this thread.. near the bottem.. it should help you out.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=13417&page=6
Post # 59 has everything you need to know.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement