Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Once Banned

Strange r/r reading

This one's for the r/r experts. I checked my r/r with a voltmeter, found out my voltmeter doesn't work well checking resistance. Checks volts ok, though. I checked the r/r cold, and it appeared to have resistance (couldn't tell you exact values) where it should, and be infinite resistance at the other places like it should - according to the shop manual. After I let it sit for a little while - on my desk - and I check it, only A1 shows resistance relative to ground, and the others are infinite resistance. Strange.

To make things stranger, I plugged her in and checked the voltage between ground (G) and Battery (B) with the bike idling. 14 volts. I revved her up to over 4 grand, still 14 volts. With the bike turned off, it dropped back to 12.x volts (analog meter). So now it's confusing me. The r/r is new, bought it last year right before the stator change. The Kawasaki dealer changed the stator, not me. From what I've read here, the OEM stator will not charge at idle, only after about 3500 rpms. So does this mean that the stator is possibly an Electrex? And what about that funky r/r? I need a better meter, I got the analog so I could see capacitors charge and discharge.

Thanks,
Ern.

PS - put the MF battery in, and I was astounded as to how fast the bike started!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 12:35 AM

I have not once been able to get a regulator to test "ok" using even a digital multimeter. In the end, I gave up. The new regulator that I have now puts out as high as 15.5x volts at cruise, but doesn't go much higher. Funny thing is that it will start to rev up to 14+ volts starting about 1,500 rpm's. Battery charge shows good. Thats with an eletrex stator. I'm told that there is a "15 volt club," and not to worry too much about it, but still, i'm not riding very far without a volt meter attached.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement