Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Mississippi Rider

dumb battery question

Is there supposed to be a charging wire going to the battery or does it charge back thru the hot lead?

How many wires should be going to the battery posts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:08 PM

I have 2 leads that attatch to my battery, Look at the positive lead near the battery there should be a white or it could be a white/red stripe wire that is part of that lead, but there is not a seperate terminal for it. Would be the same for the negitive lead, there should be a wire going to the chassis but not a seperate terminal for it
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Mississippi Rider

yeah i have the negative lead that goes to the ground and the positive lead wire...but thats it and my bike isnt staying charged. so there is supposed to be two wires attached to the positive post?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 PM

For the original configuration of the bike as far as i know there is only one terminal that connects to the positive terminal of the battery. What ever wires need to go there they would be connected to that one terminal inside the wire harness. Have you measured the DC voltage at the battery when the engine is running? Should be about battery voltage when the RPM's are low and the voltage should increase as the RPM's increase. According to my manual the voltage should be 14-15vdc at the higher RPM's. If its much higher i would say you have a bad R/R If the voltage does not rise and stays at battery voltage then you may have a bad stator. I have couple questions for you, is your battery good? My bike came with a battery that you had to maintain the fluid levels on and i let mine dry up not thinking about a non maintenance free battery. Second, and this may sound weird but when the bike is running does your headlight work? A quick check you can do for the stator is check the resistance of the stator wires to each other and then to ground (chassis). you should have close to 1 ohm between each of the stator wires and you should have a infinate reading to each of the wires to ground meaning that the wires are not shorted to ground. I dont know your experiance level so i hope i didnt insult you in any way. Im a bit new at this but i just went through this exact same problem with my bike, but when i noticed it, my headlight wasnt on. I have some post myself when my headlight wasnt working, you can find them in the forum and see the advice i got.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 05-10-2011 at 06:59 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:03 PM

I have somewhat of the same problem, and I'm a beginner so fill free even if it is novice. What I have been told by a “mechanic” is that I should put it on a slow charger every night. Now for the most part I have and I haven’t had any problems but if I go 3-4 days without putting it on the charger I’m dead in the water.
So my questions would be; is what I’m doing going to cause any problems, other than the inconvenience. Also what I have learned by just another biker is that you could put a smaller battery in it. Yes I have less cold crank amps but it would be easier for the charging system to maintain the battery.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Martinez View Post
I have somewhat of the same problem, and I'm a beginner so fill free even if it is novice. What I have been told by a ďmechanicĒ is that I should put it on a slow charger every night. Now for the most part I have and I havenít had any problems but if I go 3-4 days without putting it on the charger Iím dead in the water.
So my questions would be; is what Iím doing going to cause any problems, other than the inconvenience. Also what I have learned by just another biker is that you could put a smaller battery in it. Yes I have less cold crank amps but it would be easier for the charging system to maintain the battery.
If your battery and charging system are good, there should be no need to charge it every night. So I would assume something isn't right with one or more of those components. I would not put a smaller battery in it, I'd fix the system. If you need to replace your battery, Deka makes a good one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-...item3eee173adb

Iridium plugs also make starting easier.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Benjammin'

One thing I had to do on my bike is remove all the grounds and clean them with sandpaper to make better contact. There is one to the frame and one to the engine. Both ends of the wire need to make good contact or your battery will seem to be discharged. Remember to clean the wire terminal AND the block (or frame).

Good luck!

Ben-
SW Ohio

'02 VN750
Pipes drilled
Spline lubed
R/R relocated
AGM batteried
Iridium equipped
LED tail lighted
8000-ish miled
Soon to be MCCTed

Lovin Life.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 09:05 PM

well i do have a new battery that i bought from the dealer. but im going to start looking into the rest. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement