Ammeter - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Ammeter

I would like to install an ammeter on my 1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 750. I don't have a schematic or wiring diagram so I need detailed and specific instructions. Anyone Help please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

I believe you are wanting a schematic for a VOLTAGE METER correct?

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 09:20 PM

you dont even need a relay I got rid of the running lights in the front turns so i used that for the hot , soldered a 15 amp fuse inline and there is an extra ground in the harness you can use for the light in the volt meter, I used the left side running light hot and the same ground a white and black cable that isn't connected to anything.

I was gonna run it straight to the battery on a relay but voltage drop the way I did it was only .1 of a volt so running all that extra wire and relay mess is pointless. if you want pictures let me know

Last edited by qweesy; 05-07-2011 at 09:22 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 09:53 AM

IF you want to do it 100 percent correct, use the instructions found at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8931489/Di...ck-Power-Relay
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
IF you want to do it 100 percent correct, use the instructions found at

http://www.scribd.com/doc/8931489/Di...ck-Power-Relay
Damn bro feel like your telling me Im wrong in 2 posts now it's fine the way I ran it please tell me what benefit Id gain for that extra .1 volt?......... The whole point to the thing is to see if your R/R is functioning correctly and if it isn't you will notice because it will normally not charge at all or in some cases will over-volt... The hot is protected by an inline fuse that's all it needs and it cuts off with the ignition switch and its a hell of alot cleaner.........actually thinking about it Id probably lose more than .1 volt if I ran the extra wire and through a relay.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by qweesy View Post
Damn bro feel like your telling me Im wrong in 2 posts now it's fine the way I ran it please tell me what benefit Id gain for that extra .1 volt?......... The whole point to the thing is to see if your R/R is functioning correctly and if it isn't you will notice because it will normally not charge at all or in some cases will over-volt... The hot is protected by an inline fuse that's all it needs and it cuts off with the ignition switch and its a hell of alot cleaner.........actually thinking about it Id probably lose more than .1 volt if I ran the extra wire and through a relay.
You can tap into any ('hot') point of any circuit and it will work..... it just wont be "correct." The point of the voltmeter is to measure the voltage drop at the battery. The only "correct" way to do that is to wire the meter directly across the battery. If your meter shows a low voltage condition, it may not even be the battery.... you may have increased resistance in the running light circuit. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the "correct" way. Just my 2 cents..............
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
You can tap into any ('hot') point of any circuit and it will work..... it just wont be "correct." The point of the voltmeter is to measure the voltage drop at the battery. The only "correct" way to do that is to wire the meter directly across the battery. If your meter shows a low voltage condition, it may not even be the battery.... you may have increased resistance in the running light circuit. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing the "correct" way. Just my 2 cents..............

well I know this but from where I hooked it up and the at the battery was only a .1 volt drop .(point)1 that is all and I got rid of the running lights I only have the fronts running as blinkers....just like the rears..... The HID is enough light
Sponsored Links
Advertisement