Mosfet R/R hook-up - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Mosfet R/R hook-up

I have a 2005 VN750 and I want to get one of those Shindengen MOSFET R/R's however i have some concerns on how its wired. The input is easy, the 3 stator wires. The output shows two wires, one for the Pos Terminal of the batt and one for the Neg terminal. The schematic for the bike has 3 outputs, 1). White wire - Pos terminal of the batt/ignition switch. 2). BLK/Y wire goes to the negitive terminal/chassis, thats easy to figure out. 3) BRN wire that goes to the junction box for the loads( lights)/ ignition switch. what ive read is i just stow the old connector and use the kit wiring. From what i understand from the schematic that will not work. How do you hook this thing up?

Last edited by ifixf18s; 05-05-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

I believe if you hook up the white wire to the pos. output, the blk/yel to the neg. output, and tape off the brown wire you should be fine. IIRC, the brown is a 'sense' wire that gets it power from the white wire via the ign. sw. It is not needed for a MOSFET.
You could also run the output directly to the battery (both + and -) then connect the white wire that was going to the R/R to the batt +. cap off the brown and blk/yel

Last edited by dariv; 05-05-2011 at 06:20 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Looking at the schematic again, i see that the brown wire may not be needed. Someone said not to use the original bike wiring and the 30 AMP fuse, to use the wiring and fuse from a kit i dont understand why, this it throwing me off a bit.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Hi ifix18s,
so did you manage to fit the new R/R?. Did you use the junction box or you used the straight leads to the battery (kit). Did you have to connect some other wires from the junction box if you used the kit? I will soon be receiving my Mosfet R/R too and in a few days I am heading off for a long bike trip abroad, so I need all the help I could get for a trouble free connection......
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361Here is a link to how i did mine. Never touched the junction box wires just removed it to get it out of the way.

Last edited by ifixf18s; 06-05-2011 at 08:26 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Patriot Guard Rider

Here's a how to:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/S...tifier-Install

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Ok good write up and pics......the reason I am a bit concerned was that I read somewhere in the forum that the headlight won`t work after connecting the + and - wires from the R/R straight to battery, because one of the stator wires is connected somehow to the junction box as a signal/remote wire to turn on headlight, and that`s why the headlight turns on only after the engine is started. any thoughts...
and thanks again to all , Al
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-06-2011, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

You should not have a problem with your headlight as long as you use the stator wires that are at the R/R connector. If you were to connect the stator directly to the R/R bypassing the original wires in the harness (stator wires would be to short to do this anyway) then you would have a headlight issue. The battery wires have nothing to do with it. I have a post called "my mosfet install"
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18361

Last edited by ifixf18s; 06-06-2011 at 05:22 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-07-2011, 03:02 AM

Thanks alot ifixf18s,
I just got mail from post that I will be receiving the R/R tomorrow and will give it a go. Thanks for all your help, your link and pics will be of great use and this is what makes this site so great....people ready to help and explain....thanks also to the other guys who posted in here, hopefully I will get my bike ready for the big adventure starting on the 20th of this month and hopefully the bike will hold up to highways it hasn`t seen for long years (started its life in US). Just a question ifixf18s, do you really fix fighter jet planes (F18) or I am totally wrong on this one ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement