Where's the pick up coil mod? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
Question Where's the pick up coil mod?

I'm having a hell of a hard time finding the thread about moding the pick up coils gap. Anybody know where it is? Thanks in advance.

Hey Hoss, where's your super search powers on this one!? lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM
The Reanimater

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34298778/P...oil-Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck69 View Post
I'm having a hell of a hard time finding the thread about moding the pick up coils gap. Anybody know where it is? Thanks in advance.

Hey Hoss, where's your super search powers on this one!? lol

JaY

"Veronica"
2002 VN750 Vulcan
Rebuilt Engine
ACCTs lubed w/TOC Springs
Pick-up Coils Gapped at .018"
Splines Lubed
Deka MF AGM EXT15L Battery
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
R/R Relocation Fix
New Rear Rack
Stock Seat Repadded
Ext-BackRest
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 01:24 PM

Just did mine. Who'd have thought that .010 would make that much of a difference?

But it sure did.

Global warming? So what if my kids never see a polar bear. I never saw a dinosaur and I'm ok.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Patriot Guard Rider

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8CvDTYQ...adjustment.rtf

Possible solution to hard starting your VN7XX when hot.

Problem: Once my bike was good and hot, I would pretty regularly have problems restarting it after shutting it off for refueling, etc.... Once the starter was engaged, the bike would continuously turn over but never fire. After some e-mail discussion with Gary Versteegh from the main VROC board, I adjusted my pick up coils as described below. This seems to have eliminated my hard starting problems. This procedure may or may not solve your hard starting problems. Also, please note that the pick up coils are not designed from factory to be adjustable. This procedure requires modification to the stock components.

If you have any question, feel free to send me an e-mail to [email protected]. I will be happy to answer any questions.

Adjustment of pick up coils.
Remove the 3 phillips head screws on the left side. This will allow you to remove the pick up coil cover. You will need to place something under the bike to catch the oil although oil loss will be minimal. A rag was enough for me. Once the screws are removed, the cover should either come right off or you may need to pull on it. Mine was on pretty good and I had to physically pull on it to get it loose. The three screws and the cover all have separate o-rings. Once the cover is off, you will see the two pick up coils mounted to the stator cover inside two holes. They are mounted at roughly the 9:00 and 11:00 o'clock positions. Behind the stator cover, there is a rotor. You may need to rotate the rotor using a socket wrench on the shaft bolt in the center to align the small "plate" on the rotor with one of the pick up coils so that you can measure the clearance. Once you have measured one, rotate the rotor again so that you can measure the other. Gary recommends .020 clearance. Mine were about .030 or more. To adjust the clearance, remove the two screws which secure the pick up coils to the stator cover. You will most likely need to slightly elongate or slot the holes in the "ears" of the pick up coil mounting brackets. Gary indicates that a chain saw file works well for this but I used a rotary tool with a small grinding wheel on it. You will also see that there are 3 small protrusions coming out of the stator cover that each of the mounting
"ears" of the pick up coils fit into for proper placement from the factory. You will most likely have to knock the one closest to the center off to be able to make the necessary adjustment. A sharp chisel works well for this although you may want to cover the holes in the stator cover with something to prevent the little piece from falling inside the engine. Once the protrusions are knocked off and the holes are elongated, it is time to put the pick up coils back on. Set them back in their holes and start the screws. Place your .020" feeler gauge between the coil and the rotor "plate" and tighten the screws. Once you are satisfied with the clearance, tighten down the screws and do the same with the other coil. Gary recommends that you use both an impact screw driver and lock tite on the screws. I don't have an impact driver but I did use lock tite. Once both are set, put everything back together and test it out. I don't have a digital camera or I would have taken and posted some pics but you can look through the pictures in the Clymer's manual to get an idea of what I am talking about. In my manual (I assume they are all pretty much the same) the pictures on pages 296 to 302 should give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Note: This adjustment DOES NOT require removal or tilting of the engine. Just removal of the side cover held on by the three phillips head screws on the left side.

1986 Black Kawasaki Vulcan VN750 "Black KAWK"
VN750 #9300 & VROC #33453

EMGO Handlebar, V&H Exhaust, Drop Shocks, Raised/Painted Fork, MeanStreak Seat, Tank Bib, ME880 Oversize Tires, Engine Guard, Custom Mirrors, Chris Products Turn Signals, Ear Shave, 150/42 Jets, PINGEL Fuel Valve, MCCT, Volt Meter, Shendegen R/R, AGM Battery, Coastered, .020 Coils, Relo Gauges & Headlamp, SilverStar Ultra, LED Flashing Brake Light, Center Stand Delete, WOLO Airhorn.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:42 PM
Concert connoisseur

Garage
hoss needs to change his username to "The Linkmaster"!!!

1986 vn 750 aka "Huck Farley"
42,000 miles
Rick's stator and rr
Tuxedo stator cover mod
pickup coil mod
dampers replaced
agm m/f battery
Harley sportster exhaust, degoated
Hid conversion
splines lubed
custom "vn750.com" grill cover
NGK Iridium spark plugs

acct to mcct mod https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

rekeying locks, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7309

stator replacement walkthrough, https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11369
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Just did mine and wow at the difference. Wish I had done this first thing when I got the bike. Did mine to .020 and it completely eliminated the not starting when hot problem and I think I may have picked up a little pep in there too. Seems to have just a little more power than before.

1986 Vulcan 750
30,000 miles and counting
Castrol GTX 10w-40
WIX- Gold oil filter Pt.#1356 @ Napa Auto supply $8.00
Seafoam-2 oz. to every other tank of gas @ Napa-$10
Yuasa M/F battery- YTX14AHL-BS
Lubed Splines- Moly EP Grease, 1lb. tub $3.49-Autozone Pt.#561753
Sprayed U-joint with Liquid Wrench White Lithium Grease- $3.99 Autozone Pt.# 828796
Castrol Hypoy C 80w90 Gear Oil $5.99- Autozone Pt.#991558
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs, $8.99(x4)=$35.96 Autozone Pt.#088394.
Degoated
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Giggity!

Garage
It is one of the few mods that I TOTALLY stand behind. This really makes a difference with our scoots!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Any video showing how to do this?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 01:17 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgulley21 View Post
Any video showing how to do this?
Check You-Tube

Written instructions Post #5 this thread.

Read thru these threads.....
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=pick+up+coil ....... =a pic can be found @ around post # 54 (?)

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=pick+up+coil

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!

Last edited by WilliamTech; 05-03-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement