No power to anything. Stumped!!!! - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

No power to anything. Stumped!!!!

Was riding the bike and shut it off, when I went to turn it back on I have no power to anything. No oil light, neutral light, gas gauge, headlight etc.. nothing . From my testing, this is what I know as of now.

The ignition tests good via continuity at the connector under the left side of the tank. Ie.. when in run or park everything is connecting like it should per the manual.
Battery terminals are tight.
There is continuity between the Negative battery terminal and the frame in many locations.
The volt meter says 12.4 volts at the battery.
The Main fuse has good power on both sides of it. ie.. the fuse is good.
It doesn't appear to be any power going to the ignition switch. looking at the wiring diagram I am unable to figure out which wire should supply power to the ignition for the ignition to distribute it out. It seems like to me that there should be a constant hot going to the ignition..

I don't think it would be the run/stop switch or any sensor, because I have a total loss of all power...

Is it possible something burnt up behind/in the fuse box? It is sealed and should just be hard connections.. Correct..

I know it is a loose/broking wire somewhere

Just looking for a few ideas on what to check next...

Any an all help/ideas are welcome..

Thanks

John

Last edited by jobrien; 04-19-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:04 PM

May sound simplistic, but put the key in the ignition and wiggle it a little back and forth, then turn it on.

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Banned

Check the white wire in the same location (left side of tank) ..... it's a 'bullet' connector.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Good call Dariv,

It appears that I have 12V going into the junction box on pin 1 and no power coming out of pin 2 heading toward the ignition on the white wire, but I have power on both sides of the 30 amp fuse. Very strange.... Going to bust open the junction box and see what has happened...

Anybody have a known good junction box. I know I can get one on ebay but with something like this it is like shooting craps..

Stay tuned..
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check your main fuse. I think that it is some where on the junction box. Don't know cause I never had trouble with it.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Calif Rider

If you have the downloaded the maintenance manuel, it will show you how to check out the main fuse box in the electrical section. Either on the bike or out of the bike, also you can check if it smells like it is burned out in side. One person on the sight found that his whole fuse box had melted on the backside.

2004 25,500 miles
Led tail light enhancement
Homemade floor boards
Headlight modulator
Extra heat sink on R+R
R+R relocation
Homemade driver's backrest
Fused Stator
Mcct conversion-cost 4.50
Ride-on in tires
crash bar with home made hyway pegs
iridium plugs
home made fork wind deflectors
coil pickups adjusted.
Kenda kruz tires 110/90 170/80
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
Good call Dariv,

It appears that I have 12V going into the junction box on pin 1 and no power coming out of pin 2 heading toward the ignition on the white wire, but I have power on both sides of the 30 amp fuse. Very strange.... Going to bust open the junction box and see what has happened...

Anybody have a known good junction box. I know I can get one on ebay but with something like this it is like shooting craps..

Stay tuned..
Since the only thing between pin 1 and pin 2 is the main fuse, I'd bet you'll find a broken/cold solder joint on the pin 2 side of the fuseholder at the circuit board.

While you've got it apart, inspect all the circuit traces for corrosion, clean any of it up, and coat the cleaned traces with a thin coat of clear nail polish. Helps keep it from getting corroded again.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Banned

There are two splices in the white wire.... my guess is one of them is bad. The first is where the white from the R/R meets the white from the JB. The second is under the tank where the white wire going to the ign. switch meets the white/black, also going to the ign. switch, via the connector under the side cover. If you are getting power on pin two, my guess would be one of these splice points.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobrien View Post
Good call Dariv,

It appears that I have 12V going into the junction box on pin 1 and no power coming out of pin 2 heading toward the ignition......
oops......never mind.
I have a spare JB if you need it, BTW..........
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Latest update:

Thanks Dariv for the offer I may take you up on it. But I am determined to find the problem first.

I took the fuse box apart found nothing wrong, no corrosion and nothing out of the ordinary, ohmed out everything and everything checked out. I am unable to check the diodes in there (been a long time since I worked on a TV, must find all of the old books). All of the sudden like magic there was continuity between pins 1 & 2. Reinstalled fused box and bike runs.

I did find a questionable connection on the white and brown wires under the left side of tank. Replaced connections.

BUT now I have no headlight, Headlight indicator or High beam indicator. Everything else appears to function including rear light, break light and all turn signals.

I have rechecked all connections under the left side of tank twice. I have not had a chance to start ohming out the headlight circuit yet.

Again much thanks to all. Anymore ideas are always welcome..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement