LED's don't work front and rear but will work front or rear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

LED's don't work front and rear but will work front or rear

I replaced my rear turn signal bulbs with led turn signal bulbs and left the front marker/turn signal bulbs incandescent, the blinkers would blink but it was fast, I figured i just need the electronic flasher so I continued with my replacent and replaced the front bulbs with LEDs. The right side marker lit up bright the left side marker was dim and it caused the rear bulb to come on and stay on and when i tried to use the blinker the right side did not do anything but I heard a buzzing noise coming from the flasher relay. The left side got a little brighter but did not flash and I heard the noise coming from the flassher relay. I bought an EP-34 flasher and installed it and nothing would happen on either side I didnt even hear a sound coming from the flasher. I then removed the rear LED bulbs and replaced them with the incandescent. The right side works fine rear flashes off and on front marker is on bright and flashes brighter. The left side rear flashes normally but the front marker light is on bright and turns off and on when I turn on the blinker. Any ideas what could cause this problem? Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Fire Axe Man

at the local car parts store by the bulbs will be your answer... it a little resistor type deal you wire in... leds have NO resistance when you replace all your bulbs with them your bike thinks all bulbs are bunrt out, you did nothing wrong dont worry... the part im talking about is about 10 bucks at Advance auto,O'reilly, or Auto zone... should be hanging by the bulbs... or just go on ebay and look for LED LOAD RESISTOR, if you have any issues or questions feel free to PM me

Just can't leave well enough alone...

86 vn750
Ears Shaved
Custom Exhaust
Custom Seat
Hardtail 3 1/2" drop rear
Custom turn signals
15" apes
Custom grips
Custom forward controls
Custom paint
many more mods to come
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:11 AM Thread Starter

thanks. but i thought i read on here that those make the led's pointless since they use as much power as the standard bulb and that using the electronic flasher was supposed to make the load resistor not necessary.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

I am attempting the same deal on my bike...try a EP-36 flasher......my buddy has an '82 Suzuki GS 550L he converted all turn signals to LED's and he uses a EP-36 (it's a 3 pole and will fit in our harness) with no load resistor at all...and it works perfect!. ****DO NOT*** try to use a EL-13....I tried this and made smoke come out of the flasher wiring harness!!!!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Banned

The electronic flasher is supposed to make the LED's work properly. Just make sure it's for LED type bulbs. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the types of electronic flashers or not.
I'm sure someone here with electrical experience will chime in shortly.
You can also do a search on the forum in the electrical section, I'm pretty sure some one has had the same problem and the answers might be in there.
If I happen to find the link, I will post in on here for you.
If you don't know already, the front bulbs are different than the rear ones.
The front bulbs are both turn signals, and running lights. The rear are turn signals only.
They take 2 different types of bulbs. I'm not sure of the bulb numbers tho.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgray View Post
I replaced my rear turn signal bulbs with led turn signal bulbs and left the front marker/turn signal bulbs incandescent, the blinkers would blink but it was fast, I figured i just need the electronic flasher so I continued with my replacent and replaced the front bulbs with LEDs. The right side marker lit up bright the left side marker was dim and it caused the rear bulb to come on and stay on and when i tried to use the blinker the right side did not do anything but I heard a buzzing noise coming from the flasher relay. The left side got a little brighter but did not flash and I heard the noise coming from the flassher relay. I bought an EP-34 flasher and installed it and nothing would happen on either side I didnt even hear a sound coming from the flasher. I then removed the rear LED bulbs and replaced them with the incandescent. The right side works fine rear flashes off and on front marker is on bright and flashes brighter. The left side rear flashes normally but the front marker light is on bright and turns off and on when I turn on the blinker. Any ideas what could cause this problem? Thanks for your help.
you need a flasher like this
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...fCatId=&mmyId=

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Fire Axe Man

sorry didn't realize you were worried about the amount of power used... an LED flasher will work as well...

Just can't leave well enough alone...

86 vn750
Ears Shaved
Custom Exhaust
Custom Seat
Hardtail 3 1/2" drop rear
Custom turn signals
15" apes
Custom grips
Custom forward controls
Custom paint
many more mods to come
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:49 AM

thi is the one I used.. $20 jsut about anywhere and it works well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike23Impala View Post
sorry didn't realize you were worried about the amount of power used... an LED flasher will work as well...
I think we are saying the same thing. LED bulbs require a load reducer.
Jim

JM2001

" Loud Pipes Risk Rights "

2001 Vulcan 750
marbled
TOC upgrade on ACCT
Air/fuel mixture set to 2 1/2 out
rectifier relocated
splines lubed
iridiums
decals removed
upgraded mirrors
Pic up coil mod done
degoated
All LED lighting
Upgraded Mosfet rectifier
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice everyone. I returned the ep34 flasher thinking it might be defective and I got another one and it still does the same thing. I have read several posts in the archives saying that the ep34 works great on our bikes but it isn't working for me. Then after seeing the flasher clock152 posted I looked it up and it is a no load flasher the ep34 says variable load and on the tridon website it says it is load sensitive. Now I am thinking the LED bulbs are not enough of a load to activate the ep34 even though it says LED right on the flasher. I am going to try to locate the flasher that clock152 posted and try it. I am a little scared to try the ep36 that bret h posted since the battery and ground terminals are reversed from the original flasher.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement