Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Turn Signal Mods

I recently purchased a set of switches for my bike. I received them today, and to my horror they are different. I never thought about the different years and the self cancelling turn signals on my 85.
The new switch don't have the self cancelling setup on it.
My wiring has 2 connectors from the left switch that has 9 wires on one pigtail, and 6 wires on the other. I believe the 6 pin connector is for the self cancelling setup.
The new switch has 2 connectors, main is 9 pin, and the other has only 3 pins.
Can the new one be modified to work? I really don't care if it has the self cancel or not. It don't work anyhow. I make it a habit to turn them off after about a half a block.
I looked on the forum, but couldn't find any posts concerning it.
does anyone know how to do the mod? Or do I just leave the 6 pin connector unplugged? Or will that affect them? I tried looking at the diagrams in the online manual, but couldn't make out anything on there.
I'm going to use an Ohm meter tomorrow to chase the wiring down on my switch to see if I can just go with the 3 wires and intergrate them into the harness.
HEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 01:53 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
I recently purchased a set of switches for my bike. I received them today, and to my horror they are different. I never thought about the different years and the self cancelling turn signals on my 85.
The new switch don't have the self cancelling setup on it.
My wiring has 2 connectors from the left switch that has 9 wires on one pigtail, and 6 wires on the other. I believe the 6 pin connector is for the self cancelling setup.
The new switch has 2 connectors, main is 9 pin, and the other has only 3 pins.
Can the new one be modified to work? I really don't care if it has the self cancel or not. It don't work anyhow. I make it a habit to turn them off after about a half a block.
I looked on the forum, but couldn't find any posts concerning it.
does anyone know how to do the mod? Or do I just leave the 6 pin connector unplugged? Or will that affect them? I tried looking at the diagrams in the online manual, but couldn't make out anything on there.
I'm going to use an Ohm meter tomorrow to chase the wiring down on my switch to see if I can just go with the 3 wires and intergrate them into the harness.
HEEELLLLPPPPP!!!!
Man that is a tough one ,mine did not have self cancelling signals ,this much i do know there is a distance sensor on the front wheel of yours and a timer too I think,.it is probably doable if you isolate the power wire coming to your switch and put it on the center tap of the new switch and run down the signal wires and put them on the two outside terminals of the new switch,

Do you have a link to the onlilne schematic?

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I have downloaded the manual from the site, but I had seen somewhere on here that someone had a color shematic, but I haven't been able to find it.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Color schematics can bee found at the yahoo groups site under files.. or you can find it in my scribd pages located in my sig
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM

If you can't find the color schematic shoot me a PM. I have the Haynes manual with colored wiring diagrams for all models and can scan them for you tonight if you still need them

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-14-2011, 12:47 PM

I think it is best to replace the 3-pin connector of your new switches with the 6-pin connector from your old switches.

The wire colors on the the Service Manual diagrams are hard to read, but to me it looks like the wire colors on the harness side of the 6-pin connector are: BL/O, LO, W/O, W/R, BL/W and Y/O.

Of these the W/O, W/R and BL/W are used for turn signal canceling. These are left unconnected.

The BL/O wire goes to the Hi/Lo switch, and the wire color should be the same on both sides of the connector.

The LO and Y/O wires go to the starter lockout switch (operated by the clutch lever), and are the two other wires on the 3-pin connector (the colors may vary). The Y/O wire goes to the common pin of the lockout switch, which you should be able to figure out with an ohm meter.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
this much i do know there is a distance sensor on the front wheel of yours and a timer too I think
The distance sensor is mounted inside the speedo bucket, in a slot on the back of the speedometer head. The "timer" is most likely part of the TS cancelling unit itself.

There is a way to use the later switch(es), but the notes I made for myself on that are on my old 'puter, and I haven't got access to it right now. Pappa's write-up appears right, tho.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That was my plan, I am going to replace the 3 pin with the 6 pin connector. I will chase the wires down, and I have a good multi-meter to check which wire is which.
The self cancelling part don't work on my bike anyways, so it's no big deal if I have it or not.
The solenoid in the handlebar switch itself is bad, and it hasn't worked since I bought the bike. The sensor in the speedo head works. Thanks for the wiring details pappa.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Banned

On a side note, on pappa's message, he has on the wiring schematic the color LO.
It's LG for Light Green. Thought I'd let everyone know.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Banned

I think I have it figured out. I replaced the 3 pin connector with the 6 pin, and installed the 3 wires I needed. 2 are for the clutch interlock, and the 3rd was for the hi beam on the headlight. I hooked up the battery and all the turn signals work, but the horns don't.
I think it might be the battery connections. I'm going to test it at the connector tomorrow and see if they work or not.
I need to check the forum to see if there is a way to turn the headlight on so I can check for low/hi beam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement