starter issue - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

starter issue

Brand new battery, holds voltage, drops to 6 volts when starting. If you hold in the starter button it acts like the battery is totaly dead. Anybody help with this one?? Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergey View Post
Brand new battery, holds voltage, drops to 6 volts when starting. If you hold in the starter button it acts like the battery is totaly dead. Anybody help with this one?? Please
My first guess would be a shorted out starter solenoid or a problem with the wiring to the solenoid.
Jim
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Can you tell me where to look for the solenoid?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:33 AM

pull out the starter, ground to case and put positive to terminal see if it spins, also spin pinion by hand should spin smooth and freely, you have the starter relay and starter lockout switch they are on the side of the battery case

Last edited by qweesy; 04-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome to the group.
Stop over to the newbie checkin and introduce yourself and your bike.

If you fill out your profile and signature on the User CP it will remind us where you are on every post , and whatever you want to say about your bike, ie model year, mileage, mods, etc.

Does battery voltage rise back to near 13 V when you release the start button?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qweesy View Post
pull out the starter, ground to case and put positive to terminal see if it spins, also spin pinion by hand should spin smooth and freely, you have the starter relay and starter lockout switch they are on the side of the battery case
before you go to all that trouble make sure your battery is good,if the voltage id dropping that much it could very well have an internal connection on the battery that is almost completely open .A battery with this problem will show good voltage ,but when under load can't provide the current needed.Try a set of good jumper cables to the battery in a vehicle that you know can provide enough current to turn the engine over.if this doesn't help look for high resistance connection, i.e. corroded battery connections bad cables or starter solenoid.The big cables are what you need to check first as this sounds like a problem in the power side of the harness and not control .Then check the starter,and don't forget to drain the oil if you end up having to pull the starter.also be sure to check the connections on the big cable grounds.

But I think it is most likely the batteryJMHP

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
before you go to all that trouble make sure your battery is good,if the voltage id dropping that much it could very well have an internal connection on the battery that is almost completely open .A battery with this problem will show good voltage ,but when under load can't provide the current needed.Try a set of good jumper cables to the battery in a vehicle that you know can provide enough current to turn the engine over.if this doesn't help look for high resistance connection, i.e. corroded battery connections bad cables or starter solenoid.The big cables are what you need to check first as this sounds like a problem in the power side of the harness and not control .Then check the starter,and don't forget to drain the oil if you end up having to pull the starter.also be sure to check the connections on the big cable grounds.

But I think it is most likely the batteryJMHP

true but the starter is pretty easy to get to on these bikes but yes check batt first, try jumping from your car or truck battery
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

New battery, second one in two years, cause I thought that was the problem, NOT. Had the starter out last year and had it checked out by a shop, nothing wrong with it. Battery does go back up to 13 volts after you let go of the starter button. I figure that it is a solenoid or a coil or something like that. Does this bike even have a starter coil??
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergey View Post
New battery, second one in two years, cause I thought that was the problem, NOT. Had the starter out last year and had it checked out by a shop, nothing wrong with it. Battery does go back up to 13 volts after you let go of the starter button. I figure that it is a solenoid or a coil or something like that. Does this bike even have a starter coil??

check and dielectric grease all starter connections and make sure they are all tight, oh and open up your starter switch on the handle bar and clean the contacts, on an older triumph I had the contacts were burned and all black cleaned them right up with some brasso put switch back together and started right up.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Starter relay/solenoid is found on the right side of the battery box.
Follow the short, heavy, white/red electrical cable from the positive battery terminal to the relay.

Here is an ebay link to some pictures of vn750 relays to see what this one looks like:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/__?_from...lenoid&_sacat=

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-06-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement