Help, strange electrical noise and motorcycle is off/no key in ignition - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Help, strange electrical noise and motorcycle is off/no key in ignition

Ok, after I turned the ignition off and popped off my helmet I noticed this strange steady high pitched squeelish noise like something electrical. It's coming from the gauge cluster area but more towards the left side I think. I went to do some work on my vehicles and 30 mins later came back to wash her (the 750 vulcan). That noise was still going on, very strange, not sure what it is... Any help would be appreciated!

Also a useful tidbit might be this... As I was pulling up to roll her in the garage I turned the ignition and shut her off, as soon as I did it seemed the electric fan kicked in/on and after it shut off there was that high pitched electrical squeel noise...

Thanks,
Unclemoney.

PS. I feel like this is a stupid question, but whatever... I wanted to pop the seat off but couldn't find the little seat release thing, do I just pop it off with my hands? My old vulcan 500 had a little release you pulled under the left side of the seat. Also I believe my thermostat isn't working either as I haven't seen the needle budge. Today it was 85 degree's outside and I could feel the heat on my legs from the engine/exhaust yet the thermostat remained the same, no movement from when I started her it seemed!

Last edited by Unclemoney; 04-02-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok case closed! I just went back out there and stuck my face down sideways so I could tell with my ear up next to her where it was coming from... It seems some sort of balancing of pressure from the gas tank, I then went to go back inside to grab the keys and by the time I came out the noise had quieted even more. As soon as I popped the cover for the gas tank it released some pressure and presto, no more noise!

Boy oh boy lol I had myself a tad bit worried!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Sounds like you may be bordering on POOGS. Might pay you to clean the tank/cap venting system. There's a sticky on it I believe.

To remove the seat, you have to open the toolbox and unscrew two bolts that mount through the toolbox and into the back of the passenger seat. Then lift and pull backwards.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, didn't know that. What is POOGS?

Edit: I just searched and found the sticky, reading time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement