Steering lock - rear light comes on? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Steering lock - rear light comes on?

First off, is there a secret to searching these forums? Usually surrounding things in quotes works to search for an exact phrase, but here I always get each term. So "steering lock" gives me everything with steering and lock.. Anyways.

The problem: I recently discovered the steering lock feature but when I push in the ignition and turn right the flipping rear (red) running light comes on. This cannot be correct. Whats going on here? Also, is there a trick to unlocking the steering lock? Its stuck or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:43 PM

I was stumped by this at first also. You are using the accessory position of the ignition switch. If you turn the key all the way to left the it will lock the bars with no lights lit up. Not sure why Kaw thought this was a good idea.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonixx View Post
I was stumped by this at first also. You are using the accessory position of the ignition switch. If you turn the key all the way to left the it will lock the bars with no lights lit up. Not sure why Kaw thought this was a good idea.
Haha, wow I feel like a moron. Might my key being a copy of a copy of a copy have something to do with why I cant get it to unlock?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 10:53 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

You have the key in park position. The tailight is supposed to be on. Turn the handlebars to the left as far as they will go, push the key in and turn it counterclockwise to the lock position, which is past the park position.
Jim
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonixx View Post
....... Not sure why Kaw thought this was a good idea.
Because some time you might want to pull off the road...at night ....and turn the motor off....and want cars to see you.

They call this the "parking" position...your headlight goes off but the other lights stay on....and do warn not to leave the bike like this for any extended period....as it will drain the battery.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

Any trick to unlock it? Ignition will not turn counterclockwise (from the park position).
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:13 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Put the bike on the center stand. Turn handlebars all the way to the left. Try key. If it doesn't turn, turn the handlebars inward a little. Keep moving the bars until it unlocks. Works on my bike.
Jim
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM

A problem with the key being a copy of a copy of a copy is a distinct possibility. With the keys that came with my truck, the run, start, off, and lock positions were pretty reliable, if a little fussy, but I could only get it into accessory about 10% of the time. Went to a dealership and had them cut a (Fortunately un-chipped) key from the VIN and it works just the way it's supposed to.

I'm sure it was your first reaction, but just in case, try the following while attempting to turn the key back and forth: Pushing the key into the ignition, pulling on it out just a hair, pushing the head to each side, jiggling the key back and forth, anything that might get the pins to line up just enough differently. A little 3-in-1 oil or similar into the cylinder might not hurt either.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have an idea of which part of the key operates the locking portion of the ignition? Its still stuck in park and ive done every jiggle and shake possible. I was told by 3 dealers here that a key cannot be cut from the VIN. They priced me a new lock set at like $200 bones =O. Ill hotwire it before I pay that much.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 AM

I have a bit of trouble with my key once in a while, mostly when the steering is locked too. Sometimes, I gotta press the key so that the cylinder itself goes down a bit... not sure if I'm making it clear, but just try pushing down on the key and you'll see what I mean, it actually goes down with the cylinder. Anyway, sometimes I gotta push it down, sometimes I also gotta jiggle it while pushing down.

When it's not in the lock position I don't have to push down, I just twist it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement