Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Stuck on side of the road help please

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  wib714 
#1 ·
Bike starts but as soon as I start letting go o the clutch it shut off any ideas? It idles fine if you give gas it good but let go of the clutch and it almost feels like the kick stad switch is engaged

#6 ·
disconnecting it may not do anything for you.. I don't know if that switch is
open or closed. You may need you put the two wires together. try playing with it a little first. if you have a knife with you, you can strip the wires back without cutting them in half. then twist the two together..

I don't have my book with me or the bike to test. but you're not going to blow or burn anything by trying this. Good luck and be safe

#5 ·
I dont think you can just disconnect it. I believe when the sidestand is up it completes a circuit, which means the switch is closed. Removing the wires opens the switch just like having the stand down. (I could be wrong about this) I agree with above post, sidestand switch. Another possibility would be the neutral safety switch, or the wire connecting it coming off. (green wire in rear bottom of engine. IIRC) Can you start the bike on the sidestand in neutral?

#8 ·
I can start the bike with the kick stand down or up and with the bike in gear or not when in gear the clutch is engaged but the moment I'm ready to drive off and I start rolling on the throttle and letting go of the clutch the tach jumps to about 3500 rpm and the bike shuts off

#11 ·
Just try pulling the plunger on the switch out by hand. If that fixes it, it probably just needs cleaning and lubricating with a non-greasy type lubricant that won't pick up dirt. I use DuPont Dry Wax Lubricant available at Lowes.

#14 ·
Yes. if it's what we all think it is it should get you up and running in no time..
just be sure not to cut them too close to the plug or switch.. but do cut on the switch side of the plug so you can just plug in a new one if you want to replace it later.

#15 ·
Man, I type way to slow...lol good to hear you got it going.. I had this same issue on a old Yamaha years ago.. Due to my riding habits I didn't replace the switch until I sold the bike.. Be safe

#16 ·
OK, I chimed in way to late on this one but I still want to comment. I think this is the first time I've seen a road side assistace via phone, web, forum. How cool is our tech we can get help from almost anywhere. Glad to here your not stranded & got her going.

#20 ·
I couldnt go back to a regular cell now for nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.