Dash Lights 158 and???????? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Dash Lights 158 and????????

I want to change out all the dash lights to LED's I know the fat ones for oil, headlight turn are 158's but what are the tiny little suckers on the tach, speedo and gas gauge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:34 PM

194 is the generally accepted better replacement for the old 158 and 168. The smaller one is a 74, I think; good luck finding that one in LED.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

cool thanks man www.superbrightleds.com has 74's

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 10:02 PM

I started to check Superbright, and got sidetracked onto something else. Good to know they're available.

Hmmm, some good stuff on there; gives me some (evil?) ideas...

BTW, I'd still highly recommend the brake/tail light board Bulldog got Clear Alternatives to make for us:

http://stores.motolume.com/-strse-35...TOR/Detail.bok

Moto-Lume is apparently now the distributor for CA lights and light boards. I notice the price has dropped 5 bucks since a lot of us got ours. The Superbright bulb replacements are cheaper, but I think the CA quality and longevity make up for it.

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets

Last edited by J.D.; 03-26-2011 at 10:22 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 04:04 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

I also own that Clear Alternatives Taillight/Brakelight Board (P/N CTL-0046-L is the RED LED Board and Clear lens.....***stay away from the SMOKED LENS*** or CTL-0046 for just the RED LED Board @ Motolume.com $65.00)....Very Very Highly recommended!!!!! IT alone saves like 4.5 AMPS of stator/R&R killing power!!! **HEY** I bought the 74 style bulb in white LED's (P/N 006000089 $3.50 total for 2 bulbs) off E-Bay ( The seller on there is called Sixity...yes SIXITY...(not Sixty, like 60)...they are very high quality LED bulbs for a very low price!) and installed over 1.5 years ago in both Speedo and Tach(4 bulbs needed to do both). All the LED bulbs I purchased from SIXITY still work great. I replaced all the 194 idiot lights in the dash with 194 LED bulbs also from SIXITY. HERE are a couple of very important tips......1. for the turn indicator LED bulbs buy 194 (1 watt)***AMBER colored***(Sixity P/N 006000106 $10.00 total for 2 bulbs) LED bulbs. The White/Clear LED bulbs always have a slight blue tint to them no matter what brand you buy...so with the amber lens in your dash, they look greenish to the rider, I personally like Amber color like the factory wanted. 2. ****Do not replace the Headlight failure indicator bulb with an LED bulb....due to that circuit design the circuit needs to see the resistance of a regular normal 194 bulb to work properly! ****ALSO ***** 3. Do not replace the Neutral Indicator Light Bulb with an LED bulb*****.....I already tried this....MAJOR FAIL ....what happens is when you have it in any gear the LED bulb goes out as normal ....but when you release the clutch lever completely in ANY gear, the Neutral LED Bulb comes back on at 1/4 to 1/2 power....VERY WEIRD!......it's super annoying when driving at night, rollin' down the highway at 65 MPH and it looks like the Transmission is in neutral, It bothered me so bad that I went back to a regular 194 bulb for the Neutral indicator light.. Since your already in there, go ahead and replace those two regular 194 bulbs with new ones to save the trouble of having to take that crap apart again(it is a major pain!!!) The two other bulbs (high beam and oil pressure) can be (P/N 006000104 $3.50 total for 2 bulbs) 194 White LED's. I really wish a STICKY of this could be made up for everyone to see. This is very good highly researched infomation!

Last edited by BRET H; 03-27-2011 at 06:28 AM. Reason: ADDED INFO
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM

Re;

Is an LED turnsignal flasher required??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLU50 View Post
Is an LED turnsignal flasher required??
use a common electronic flasher.. you can get it at any auto parts store for like $20 or less.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Ok I ordered everything an now all bulbs on the bike are LEDS looks really nice, Unfortunately I didn't come back here in time to read Bret's post before I ordered but the only issue is with the Neutral LED as he said while your in gear the LED does come on very dim but not like when your really in neutral...... I'm gonna leave it like that for now don't want to open it all back up

so spinning flashing brake lights, License light, dash and gauge lights and an HID for the headlight that should keep the power down until I do the R/R upgrade
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0331012207.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	3577  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:24 AM
Banned

I wasn't aware that the spinning/flashing LED's were street legal. They aren't here in Idaho.
You can use them here, but only for show, not street use.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2011, 02:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakerBill View Post
I wasn't aware that the spinning/flashing LED's were street legal. They aren't here in Idaho.
You can use them here, but only for show, not street use.
they rotate while brake is off and flash when brake is applied.... its to get peoples attention , well ill let you guys know if I get a ticket
Sponsored Links
Advertisement