Regulator/Rectifiers - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Regulator/Rectifiers

Ok, So I was doing a bit of research before this repair.. I may need a stator and or a new Regulator/Rectifier.. So far I'm just going on my brothers findings from the end of the last season but I'm thinking it's the Regulator/Rectifier due to the the fact that he didn't see much of a voltage change...

So my big question here is: Regulator/Rectifiers, are they all about the same? providing it has 3 stator wires and a positive and negative. The reason I ask is because I'm a cheap s$%t and I found some better deals on other brand/makes including a few for 12 volt airplanes with 5/6 wires..

I'm thinking I want to go bigger then the stock 750 r/r and possibly less problematic... I figure as long as it has a pig tail or I can get one for it all I need
to do is solder and heat shrink and I'm good to go.. Any reason I shouldn't go down this road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 AM

Best bet is to look at the wiring diagrams and see what the wires for the original RR are for and see if the one you want to use would do the same and have the same wires/connections.

The obvious ones are the 3 stator wires, but the others are the ones you'd have to figure out.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 12:43 AM

yes 3 phase = 3 wires and then a positive and negative straight to the battery with a 30 amp fuse inline on the positive side.

I would recommend a MOSFET unit did this upgrade to my daytona what a world of difference the Triumph had a shunt type and I think our VN750 are shunt type aswell what does that mean? eventual FAILURE I happened to be stranded 200 miles from the house on the triumph when my reg decided to take a crap.

I did my own on the Daytona I used a MOSFET reg/rect from an 07 CBR1000 cost me about $50 for reg/rect + meter pack connections.

Heres is a kit with everything you need, you will need meterpack crimps if not you can do it with some needle nose pliers if your careful also solder the connections before you close up the meterpack

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

let me know if you need some help in wiring it up

Last edited by qweesy; 03-25-2011 at 12:45 AM.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! The CBR1000 and 900 r/r was one on my list.. Do you know if all the 1000's use MOSFET's? also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?
Never mind, I think you are referring to a metri pack.. But hey, it's late night...lol
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 08:07 AM

some guys on here are useing this.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/32290153/S...tifier-Install
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
Thanks! The CBR1000 and 900 r/r was one on my list.. Do you know if all the 1000's use MOSFET's? also what's a Meter pack? are you referring to a volt meter you installed on the bike? or something else?

yes metri pack sorry, I know 07-09 CBR600RR and CBR1000 RR for sure Id have to look but the one in the ebay link FH012AA is a MOSFET unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post
nice writeup and they used the same unit in the ebay link
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clock152 View Post

Thanks, I read this a few days ago,, I'm glad to see I'm on the right track

I also found this in my quest for knowledge. I hope I'm not stepping on any toes
with this link..

http://www.triumphrat.net/speed-trip...r-upgrade.html
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM

That is a nice write up as well.. its good to see that they are getting cheaper as well.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-29-2011, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Well, I started testing yesterday.. I didn't expect to so I didn't have my Kawasaki service manual with me.. So I just did a quick test.. So far I found The stator wires are not grounded but I didn't know what the impedance, voltage and amps should be so I didn't test it.. I know, I should of and just checked the book when I got home but it was a long day and I wasn't thinking at the time.. I also found on the battery.. The voltage off was just around 13v. Running it was 12.3 to 13.54.. My best guess at this point is still the r/r but I want to dive into it a little deeper tomorrow with the service manual..

I'm trying my best to just change out the r/r and be done with it but I also here a tap or slap (possible cam chain ) but I'm going to change the oil and coolant first to see if that helps.. if not I'll try that adjustment I read about here.. (Grady I think it was)

All in all the bike don't look that bad for 16 years old and 35k clicks. The paint looks great but I need to hit the chrome with some steel wool to put some kind of a shine on it..

Wish me luck.. I think I'm going to need it..lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement