Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Starter Stuck On?!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  blastagator 
#1 ·
I went to ride my bike last night and it stalled as soon as I let the clutch out. Kept doing that over and over so I shut it off and then turned it back on. When I pushed the start button the starter started going but she didn't start. Then I let the button go and the starter kept going!! I had to run in and grab a wrench, fling the seat off and disconnect the battery cable!!!!

Came back this morning and reconnected the post and it fired right up. Did some diagnostics and found that the kick stand switch was bad so I bypassed it by soldering the wires together. However, I am still clueless as to what caused the starter to stick. I took the gas tank off and used battery cleaner on every connection I could find and examined every wire I could get to and found NO damage so I can't believe there is an intermitent short.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening when one of the starter relays was starting to go bad? That is the only thing I could think of and couldn't find anyone else having such an issue.

Thanks!

#2 ·
That`s a new one to me.
Any chance the starter button was sticking and holding the contacts together?
Did you try the kill switch to stop the starter? That should break the trigger circuit I think.

If the relay was sticking, tapping it may have released the contacts.
Sounds like you were quick enough to disconnect the battery to avoid any damage, so well done.:smiley_th

#4 ·
If the starter solenoid gets stuck, the starter will keep turning, even if you shut the key off. Fords are notorious for that. The contacts in the solenoid get stuck together and create voltage directly to the starter and the only way to shut off the starter is to dis-connect the battery.
If it does it again, tap on the solenoid with a handle of a screwdriver or hammer handle if you can get to it.
When you hit the start switch it closes the contacts in the relay to energize the starter, and when you let off the start switch, it opens the contacts thus shutting off current to the starter.
Looks like you might have to replace the solenoid. I don't think the start switch is to blame, cause if you shut the key off, it should kill the power to it.
I could be wrong, so if anyone else reading this thinks otherwise, please feel free to chime in.

#5 ·
Raker Bill is 99% correct... the 1% he is wrong about is the need for a new solenoid/relay. The reason I say this is... You were trying to start the bike over and over again, putting a huge strain on such a small solenoid. The solenoid heated up causing the insides to temporarily weld them selves together, once the solenoid cooled, the spring pressure broke them free and all works as it should. IF THE STARTER HANGS UP AGAIN after a normal starting procedure then look into replacing the solenoid.

#6 ·
Great news guys! Thanks! When I took the battery lead off that mofo was BURNING hot. When you refer to replacing the relay do you mean the large one attached directly to the battery or the smaller one inside the fuse box area?

I might just replace it to be on the safe side. I was lucky and at home, but it would be quite embarrassing for this to happen out in public and just have to sit there until the battery goes dead!

#7 ·
Always carry at least a minimum tool kit on the bike and you can still get to the battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.