Trying to learn more about ignition coils - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Trying to learn more about ignition coils

thanks to Dariv (for the TCI link) and my friend Vince (for offering me a possible VN700), I am wanting to learn more about our ignition coils. More specifically how they work, and what the different resistant ratings mean. What else do I need to look at when upgrading the coils from stock to get a hotter more prercise spark?

I know that just adding bigger coils isn't going to do anything, but I am thinking along the lines of coils, pick up coils, and the igniter box. I have the last two figured out for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 09:32 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
spark voltage is induced current caused by the collapsing magnetic field from the primary windings. the more secondary windings the more voltage.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Thanks Joe.. that helps out a lot...

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

A higher coil output voltage translates into stronger spark only when it is not achieved at the cost of reduced spark current. And that is exactly what happens if you just increase the number of turns in the coil secondary winding. Increasing the number of turns also means higher DC resistance, which further reduces the current. A better measure to compare coils would be the amount of energy they deliver per spark, but do the manufacturers tell that?

With the inductive ignition you could expect that the more energy can be stored to the magnetic field of the coil, the more powerful spark you get. This information is available for some coils. Of course there are also many other factors (which all I am not aware of) affecting here, so in the end you just believe (or not) the assertions of the manufacturer.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
i think i am fallowing... so in other words... nothing in the spec sheets make on coil better than aanother because they don't do the right tests on them. hmmm...

so say I am trying to build a stroker engine around the vulcan platform, would I even need to worry about hotter spark?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 05:02 AM

Quote:
so say I am trying to build a stroker engine around the vulcan platform, would I even need to worry about hotter spark?
I don't think you need a hotter spark, but if you increase the compression, then more voltage is needed before the spark ignites. I believe the standard coil can handle this, but someone else might say that you need a 'power' coil.

If you are into racing, then you use all possible ways to get the best performance, but we are not talking racing - are we?

And.. the scenario of stroking the Vulcan engine is just hypothetical?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
thanks to Dariv (for the TCI link) and my friend Vince (for offering me a possible VN700), I am wanting to learn more about our ignition coils. More specifically how they work, and what the different resistant ratings mean. What else do I need to look at when upgrading the coils from stock to get a hotter more prercise spark?

I know that just adding bigger coils isn't going to do anything, but I am thinking along the lines of coils, pick up coils, and the igniter box. I have the last two figured out for now.
Are you staying with the TCI ignition, or switching to a CDI setup, or something else??
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
I don't think you need a hotter spark, but if you increase the compression, then more voltage is needed before the spark ignites. I believe the standard coil can handle this, but someone else might say that you need a 'power' coil.

If you are into racing, then you use all possible ways to get the best performance, but we are not talking racing - are we?

And.. the scenario of stroking the Vulcan engine is just hypothetical?
I might be talking racing... not sure yet, I am picking up a VN700 next summer that I am thinking of doing som crazy things to... Taking it to the drag track once in a while is on my list.
As far as stroking the engine, If I can figure out all the necessary parts, then yes its going to happen. but right now its all hypothetical... after I get back from my deployment, I am going to have a lot of time on my hands for about a year or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
Are you staying with the TCI ignition, or switching to a CDI setup, or something else??
I am going to be getting the ignitech ignition box you are looking at... I am going to buy it from a distributor on my CX500 forum, because he can get them to me cheaper sine he does a group buy every three months...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I might be talking racing...
In that case you can disregard my opinions. For me it is enough that the engine runs well. I couldn't even tell the difference if the engine had a little more or less power.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
ok... 10char
Sponsored Links
Advertisement