Keyless Ignition Wiring Idea.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Keyless Ignition Wiring Idea....

I bought a keyless alarm system for cars and am converting it into a keyless ignition system for the Vulcan. Here's how it will work: You walk up to the bike with the RFID tag in your pocket. The system recognizes the key-tag and waits for you to enable the ignition. This is done by pulling in the clutch lever and releasing. At this point the ignition is on and you can start the bike by pushing the start button. The engine is shut off by using the handlebar kill switch.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

So instead of the turning the key, you have to pull and release the clutch? Not really getting the point here, and not sure why you would want to mess with the electrical system, but make it your own! I'm sure you'll be the only guy on the block with a RFID keyless ignition system on his bike.

Now a remote choke and ignition system would be something that I could really use...
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

So, the gear must be in neutral and you must remember to turn the kill switch to 'on' before you can even get the ignition on? Does not seem very handy to me.

Why not have the unit turn the ignition on automatically when the RFID is in range, and use the kill switch if you want to force it off. The engine would stop automatically when you walk away from the bike - wouldn't that be cool! Though I personally would feel uncomfortable parking the bike with engine running, and would be using the kill switch instead of the original ignition switch. Of course you could also shut it off with the remote control button.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
So instead of the turning the key, you have to pull and release the clutch? Not really getting the point here, and not sure why you would want to mess with the electrical system, but make it your own! I'm sure you'll be the only guy on the block with a RFID keyless ignition system on his bike.
Unless someone on the block owns a new Concours...they come standard with the keyless ignition. (Google - Kawasaki kipass)

And the real neat thing is if you drop your RF sender somewhere you are screwed.

Is it really that hard to turn a key ?

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by km60155 View Post
So instead of the turning the key, you have to pull and release the clutch? Not really getting the point here, and not sure why you would want to mess with the electrical system...
My key acts 'flakey' as it is. I have to wiggle and mess with it at times.....yeah, I know....take it apart and clean it.... but what fun would that be? Besides, the stock electrical system sux. I've been plagued by electrical problems and was planning to re-wire the entire bike anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
...And the real neat thing is if you drop your RF sender somewhere you are screwed. Is it really that hard to turn a key ?
If you drop your key your screwed too...... besides, I'm going to incorporate some kind of bypass in case the system fails. Keys are so last decade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post
So, the gear must be in neutral and you must remember to turn the kill switch to 'on' before you can even get the ignition on? Does not seem very handy to me.
Why not have the unit turn the ignition on automatically when the RFID is in range, and use the kill switch if you want to force it off. The engine would stop automatically when you walk away from the bike....
You need both of those conditions to start the bike now (neutral and stop switch) In my case, 'ignition on' also means headlight on, amp on, and so on... I want to avoid inadvertently draining the battery. Lets say the bike is in the garage.... I walk out to the garage to get something (with tag in pocket) I don't want the bike to power on at that point,..... hence the deliberate clutch pull. I also wanted to make the possibility of turning over the engine in an unsafe condition minimal.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 AM

This looks like a great project. Do it and have fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
The system recognizes the key-tag and waits for you to enable the ignition. This is done by pulling in the clutch lever and releasing. At this point the ignition is on and you can start the bike by pushing the start button. The engine is shut off by using the handlebar kill switch.
If I read the above schematic correctly, the starter is enabled by the clutch lever which engages the latching relay, then the starter button can be pressed. Two questions: 1) what enables the IGN relay? Is it the same output as RFID TAG_PRESENT?, and 2) is the TAG_PRESENT output from the RFID module persistent? If not, restarting after a stall event will require some reset sequence.

This is cool.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
ryn

Cool Idea. My jeep key was flakey (It has fallen out of the ignition switch while driving ever since it was brand new). So I just bought a magnetic reed switch, a relay, a momentary switch and a toggle switch. I wired the relay between the toggle switch and the Fuel Pump. Then the reed switch to the other side of the relay. So basically you Flip the toggle, pass the magnet over the hidden reed switch, and press the momentary switch to start her up. She will run as long as the toggle switch is powered, flip the switch and she wont start up until the magnet passes the reed switch again. I originally had it wired where once the magnet left is shut down, but one speed bump later and I realized that wasn't going to work.

Basically I thought of doing the same thing to the bike. But I want to have the reed switch to interrupt the ignition circuit as well as activate the handlebar lock somehow. (Small servo or something, but I'm petrified of it failing and locking up while driving, even though it'd be pretty hard)

The best thing about the magnets is no one has to know where the switch is hidden (I keep one in my wallet and I always put my wallet in the cupholder when I drive, if you catch my drift.) And you can just stick extra keys wherever you find ferrous metal...
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelc5 View Post
...If I read the above schematic correctly, the starter is enabled by the clutch lever which engages the latching relay, then the starter button can be pressed. Two questions: 1) what enables the IGN relay? Is it the same output as RFID TAG_PRESENT?, and 2) is the TAG_PRESENT output from the RFID module persistent? If not, restarting after a stall event will require some reset sequence...
'TAG_PRESENT' relay is driven by a pin on the RFID unit. When the tag comes into range, that pin goes to ground. If the tag goes out of range before the latch is made, the 'TAG_PRESENT' will return to an open state. If the 'acc' line on the RFID unit gets 12vdc while the RFID tag is in range, the 'TAG_PRESENT' will latch closed and remain that way until power is lost on the 'acc' pin on the RFID unit. There is a 20A relay on the RFID unit, I call it 'K9_RELAY', that closes when you have both 'TAG_PRESENT' and 'acc.'
I use the 'K9_RELAY' to energize the 'IGN' relay, ect...
So once you get the 'TAG_PRESENT' and power to the 'acc' pin, the bike is ready to go....regardless of the RFID tag being in range. The only way to open the 'IGN' relay, after it is closed, is to put the kill switch in the STOP position. To answer your last question, the bike should start as long as power was not lost to the 'acc' pin.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappa View Post

Why not have the unit turn the ignition on automatically when the RFID is in range, and use the kill switch if you want to force it off. The engine would stop automatically when you walk away from the bike - wouldn't that be cool!
This is exactly what I'm doing. I'll keep you posted. Anyone else on this forum actually attempt and complete anything like this?

And on that note, does anyone have a simple wiring diagram of the ingnition switch?

Last edited by MrPhys; 10-23-2011 at 04:46 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 01:41 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Just More Stiff To Worry About LOL. Now Where Did I Lay My Car Keys Down At?

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement