I'm posting this here since my personal web page hosting has gone away...
Relocating the Regulator/Rectifier from
over the Goat's Belly, to frame for
better air flow.
The Regulator/Rectifier (R/R) is mounted from the factory to the bottom of the battery box, right above the pre muffler, or Goat's Belly, where it gets an enormous amount of heat. The r/r generates it's own heat by converting AC voltage to DC voltage and that added to the "cooking" it gets from the Goat's Belly, is enough to eventually cause it to fail. It could, (although I haven't seen proof of this) cause your stator to fail at the same time. So, one of the first mods we 750 owners should do, is move the r/r to a cooler location.
I have my own way of doing this, which in my opinion was much easier than to remove everything from the battery box and lift it up to reach the bolts that are coming up from the r/r and are screwed into nuts that are spot welded into the bottom of the battery box. My method is to drill out the bolts from the top.
Drill with extension bit
1/2" drill bit
1 1/8" U bolt
1/4-20 Lock nuts (4)
1/4-20 1" bolts (2)
1.25" piece of 3/8" fuel hose
piece of strap metal to use as new mounting bracket
Start by removing the seat and battery. Then remove the rubber pad in the bottom of the battery box.
You can see the nuts where they are spot welded in the bottom of the battery box. Using a center punch, mark a dimple in the center of each bolt, then use the pilot bit, (I used a 1/4" pilot bit just to make a center hole in the bolt) to make a pilot hole in the center of the bolt with the drill. Then use a 1/2" bit to drill out the bolt. It will take the nut with it down to a nub. You will hear the bolt fall down when you are far enough, and the r/r will be free.
Here's a nice blurry pic of the bolts/nuts. I shot this in the dark with a flashlight so the camera had a hard time focusing. I drilled them out and left it for finishing in the morning.
Here's a pic of the finished drilled out nuts I shot the next morning before I put the battery back in. I used a telescoping magnet to pick up all the metal shavings.
U-bolt (A) with piece of fuel hose (B) used to protect the frame, and the piece of strap metal (C) I used to mount the r/r in it's new location, right above the left passenger foot peg. I marked the holes for the u-bolt and the r/r, and used a drill bit one size larger than 1/4" to drill the holes. I used lock nuts with washers on the ubolt and the bolts holding the r/r onto the mount. Notice that I mounted the u-bolt above the grommet where the side cover snaps in. I also used dielectric grease on the connector pins before I plugged it in to the r/r. That's it, r/r relocated!
NOTE: If you are having charging issues with your bike, you should go through this Electrical Fault Finding Flow Chart and find/fix the problem before doing any mod! http://www.electrosport.com/media/pd...ng-diagram.pdf