Regulator/Rectifier Relocation Procedure - Page 3 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Git-R-Done!

Ha ha ha! Nice one KM. Not on my bike though -homey don't play dat!

I guess I was more curious about the "sensitive female types", if ya know what I mean ; )

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Old Fart

Garage
My wife once wore a pair of "Capri" pants....and burned the crap out of her leg right where it was exposed... On the exhaust.

Socks, boots, long pants.... No more problems... The only way to feel any heat off the R/R is to touch it with bare skin.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Git-R-Done!

Right on. Yeah, I guess I wasn't even thinking of the fact that there are (at least) 2 other large, shiny things that one can burn themselves on while riding on the back if not careful! Lol

Thanks KM.

AZ Kev

Arizona Kev

1989 VN750
7800 orig mi when purchased Jan 2011
Turned 11,000 mi Nov 2011
Saddlebags
Taillight relocation kit
Chad's highway peg mounts
Emgo Pegs
Aftermarket mirrors
Dunlop D404's

Otherwise, all stock

"But it's a dry heat - like the inside of an oven"

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Youngster

I found this sticky topic to be extremely useful, and ended up replicating it almost completely. I differ in that I didn't drill out the bolts, I found it pretty simple to be able to access the bolts holding it in. I also painted mine a little bit so it's more flair than just a metal thing exposed on the frame. My bike is a 1990 and the paint scheme is Black/Red and I matched the color pretty well. This was an easy mod, got all the parts I needed, except for the new regulator, for under $10 bucks. The regulator I bought came out to $70 though :/.

I find the mount to be very stable, haven't been able to ride it alot so I can't tell you if it gets noticeably hot... And I did put dielectric grease on the connections.

Here's a picture of how it all came out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120821_153429.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	4833  

1990 VN750 Red and Black
Bought on 6/30/2012 w/ 13,230 miles
At ~20,000
To Do List: Paint Front Rim, Acct- mcct mod

Done: Adjusted Float Bowls, R/R Replace and Relocate, Coastered, Ear Shave, Front/Rear Tire Change, Replaced Final Gear Seals, Splines Lubed, Relay Coil Mod, Replaced Fork Seals, Rebuilt Starter
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM

just did it on my vn700.

thx for good idea.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 AM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stVulcan View Post
I found this sticky topic to be extremely useful, and ended up replicating it almost completely. I differ in that I didn't drill out the bolts, I found it pretty simple to be able to access the bolts holding it in. I also painted mine a little bit so it's more flair than just a metal thing exposed on the frame. My bike is a 1990 and the paint scheme is Black/Red and I matched the color pretty well. This was an easy mod, got all the parts I needed, except for the new regulator, for under $10 bucks. The regulator I bought came out to $70 though :/.

I find the mount to be very stable, haven't been able to ride it alot so I can't tell you if it gets noticeably hot... And I did put dielectric grease on the connections.

Here's a picture of how it all came out:
Look's Good !

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 11:55 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Different Rectifer location

Since I ride double a lot (no burned passenger legs required) and prefer a clean look I mounted my rectifer in a slightly different location. I was tinkering on the bike today and decided to "check out" how I was going to relocate my rectifier. Instead of putting it out where the wires were so exposed above the left passenger footpeg where it showed and the wires could be hit with an erant shoe I instead decided to mount it on the back (inside) of the plastic side plate using Scotch double stick outdoor foam tape (HomeDepot in the paint section). If it doesn't hold I'll update this post but it seems pretty secure and at least it's no longer above the goats belly heat. Maybe not as much airflow as where most people put it but still a lot cooler location.

On a seperate but related note on my '03 instead of Kawasaki simply welding studs to the bottom of the battery box there are 2 welded nuts so I had to unbolt them from below using a 10mm socket after loosening the battery box (ended up removing 3 of the 4 battery box bolts from the frame to allow room for the 1/4" socket wrench to fit)(and the top fuse box bolt).

Job took about 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1062.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	6082  
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 AM

My 99 had similar nuts. I removed all 4 bolts on the battery box, unplugged the right rear spark plug wire, and lifted and twisted the battery box so I could get to the bolts. No problem removing them.

I'm interested in how mounting it in the inside cover like that works for you. For now I'm mounting mine on the side over the passenger peg. I figure she wears boots anyway and the exhaust is more likely to get her than the R/R. But it would always be nice to be able to hide it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyPilot View Post
Leave it to me to NOT be fond of something then end up banging it.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:24 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Deviate, The double stick tape wouldn't hold well (after a few short rides) to the inside of the cover although it sticks great to the rectifier so.... I got some "Goop" (Home Depot in the paint section) and glued the bottom of the double stick tape to the cover. Works well after 500 miles. If I need to replace the rectifier (hopefully never) the double stick tape will make it a bit easier to remove it using a knife.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 11:33 PM
Prowling Tiger

If I were to relocate my r/r, id prolly move it to the front or behind the radiator similar to how the 900 is set up. Kinda dumb to have hot electronics sit in an area constantly exposed to more heat (unless degoated).

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement