Headlight loss at 3k RPM's - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Headlight loss at 3k RPM's

I had issues with the bike NOT charging (shocker I know)... Replaced and relocated the R/R. Fired the bike up all seemed to be well with the universe. At idle everything looks great.Then I revved her up and the headlight goes out. Again this is only when the engine is at or above 3k. Sometimes the headlight warning light illuminates but not always. any thoughts? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Cracked filament in the bulb? Swap it out and see if that fixes it.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
bad loose connections in the headlight harness... also check the connectors under the left neck cover (reflector thingy). Start there before spending money... 90% of the time if the light works then doesn't work then works again, its a loose connection

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

I checked the bulb it look to be in good condition. Stuck a meter in the harness and get between 11.xx-13.xx volts. on the centerstand and in neutral i got her up to about 1500 rpm and the volt just plummet down to 0.00. ugh....I just wanna ride yuou know what I mean. Going to check the connections. Do any of you think it may still be the charging system? Just some background info. I can read schematics but i dont really know my about electrical systems. thanks for the help.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Check the battery ground at the frame. Sometimes the vibrations cause it to get aloose.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgwolfgang View Post
Just some background info. I can read schematics but i dont really know my about electrical systems. thanks for the help.
I am stumped by this phrase... If you can read a wiring schematic (road map to electrical systems), then you should be fine with electrical systems. Do you loose just your headlight, or all lights? the front turn signals are also running lights, and you have a tail light in with the break light... check those as well... if you are loosing just the headlight, it makes me believe that there is a loose connection somewhere in the HL circuit. Check the blue wire coming out of the Junction box (fuse box for those of you not savvy with the vulcan lingo) there should be battery voltage present with the bike running, and no voltage with the bike off. If you aren't getting voltage out of the said blue wire when the light dies... Move the Blue wire in the 10 pin connector from pin 8 to the unused pin. now your headlight will come on when you turn on the bike, but won't shut off during cranking.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

@ slimvulcanrider, that "know my about electrical systems" i meant "much", not "my". I know how to read about the electrical system. I just dont have a lot of experience testin them. I dont know much about multimeters and how to use them. or why voltage jump from 11-13 volts with bike running. I am pretty sure the problem is in the HL circuit some place. Everything else works just fine. I have read about moving the blue wire from the JB. I tried it the other day but i must have done somethoing wrong. Will revisit that as well.

thanks guys!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you know whats funny, I read "Much" not "My" in that statement. instead of worrying about voltage and all that confusing numbers stuff, get a testlight. Just connect the aligator clip to a good ground and move the probe from one connector to the next starting with the blue wire on the JB, and going up the frame to the connectors up under the neck cover, then to the headlight it self... where ever the light doesn't work that is where your problem is...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

good call! hopefully I can pul out the old gal this weekend and hunt this issue down. Will repost as soon I a get it or another question for that matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement