Headlight (Extra Wires/Connectors) - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Headlight (Extra Wires/Connectors)

I have a 2000 Vulcan 750 that was pretty cherry until a few weeks ago. I took a slide recently on the bike and scuffed the headlight rim. When I opened the headlight housing I found the regular connector attached and in place but there were also two additional multi-wire connectors there that were unused. I believe these to be for additional accessory add-ons but would like to know exactly what they are for. I have been thinking of adding driving lights in the future and would like to know if some of the necessary wiring is already in place. Can anyone shed some light here so I can avoid removing all the black tape and tracing the wires back to their origin? I appreciate any help and insight on this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

There are 2 sets of accessory wires on the vn that I know of, one outside the headlight bucket and another by the right (I think?) side cover, under the seat.

Never been inside the headlight bucket yet, and the wiring diagram doesn`t reveal anything to me about unused connections in there.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:38 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Gordon is correct, the two multi connectors are for accessories... there are two more under the right side cover

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Gordon and Slim are right but be aware that the accessory connectors are live all the time. So if you connect an appliance to them you have to remember to shut it off when you turn the motor off or hook up relay to do it for you.

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Banned

How do using these accessory connectors affect the stator issue? Do more accessories increase your chances of burning up a stator?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Old Truck Junkie

From what I understand, from info from here, is that the stator is at full force at all times. The voltage varience comes from the engine rpms. The excess volts are shunted to ground by the regulator. So the problem to burning the stator comes from not being able to cool it enough. City driving seems to be the biggest problem. The extra lights should not cause a problem. I did use lower volts light than the 55 watts that I had bought originally.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Thank you to everyone for the information so far. Does anyone know what accessories these wires were originally meant for? On a pure guess I would think possibly driving lights as one possibility which I do want to add now or very soon. I also want to add a meter for the charging system and an accessory outlet.

I really appreciate all the help.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:11 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Kawasaki put them there for our convenience... nothing more...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:32 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan2000 View Post
Thank you to everyone for the information so far. Does anyone know what accessories these wires were originally meant for? On a pure guess I would think possibly driving lights as one possibility which I do want to add now or very soon. I also want to add a meter for the charging system and an accessory outlet.

I really appreciate all the help.
I think those wires are only 18 gauge or smaller, and do not think they are heavy enough to run any serious driving lights. I would run driving lights off a relay triggered by the ignition switched wire to the light on the licence plate. This is a safety as well as a convenience issue to me. If the licence plate light fails you have not lost any head, tail, running or turn signal lights. Having the driving lights and headlight on separate circuits lets you get home in the dark, if one or the other fails.

IMHO the accessory wire sets were put there just for convienience in hooking up what ever an owner might desire, not for any specific factory accessorys.

You could use the set in front as a source for a dash mounted voltage meter, but the reading may be be 0.3-0.5 volts lower than a relay controlled direct connection to the battery with heavier wire. The side set could be used to install a cigar lighter for charging a cell phone or other electronic gear.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
actualy they are the same size as the HL wires and every thing else inside the bucket... they are rated at 30 amps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement