Harness replacement and weird problem. - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Electrical
Where does this wire go?
Includes Electrical mods, Lights, Stator,
Rectifier, Diagrams, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Harness replacement and weird problem.

Well, I bought a wiring harness a while back, thanks to this forum I was able to get a great deal on ebay (thanks guys!) and now that I'm finished with classes I can finally replace it

Here's something that is happening and I find weird...

When I turn on the bike and it's cold, the bike will shut off if I turn the handlebars to the right. My first thought about this was that when I turn the handlebars a wire is being pulled and it's in bad condition so it shuts off the bike... however, once it warms up it stops doing it, which seems weird, cause if it's a wire then bike temp shouldn't matter... should it?

I'm still gonna try replacing the wiring harness and see if I don't screw it up lol. I'm thinking about removing the seat, tank, neck covers, side covers and battery and putting the new harness next to the old one and just try unplugging stuff from the old one and plugging it onto the new one before going to the next connection... hopefully I can do it like this and it won't be too hard and I won't miss any connections.

If you guys have any advice or tips, they are very welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to luigit
check your ignition switch connections
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 05:38 PM

I vaguely remember reading some similar problem on this site. I think the issue ended up being a faulty ground somewhere, but I'm not 100% sure.

*Update*
Well, this is all I could find. It may just be a simple spare key short or maybe the ignition switch:

"This may sound crazy, but it is true. I was having similar problems and Gypsy suggested that the extra keys hanging from my key chain were contacting the frame and causing an elecrtical 'short' to ground throught the keys and the key ring. I removed the extra keys, leaving only the ignition key, and the problem stopped. Some VN 750s throughout its existance have had defective ignition switches. For instance, with my 1995 VN 750, the engine would die if I turned the handlebars hard right. One time I turned the handlebars hard left and the main 30 amp fuse operated (blew). I replaced the ignition switch, and that problem was solved. It can be repaired though, but I happened to have an extra one. The sources of these electrical problems are very hard to find sometimes. I guess the only way is by progress of elimination and determination. Any of the other replys to your post could be the cause too, so don't overlook anything."

https://www.vn750.com/forum/archive/i...hp/t-1166.html

Last edited by Papa Smurf; 12-01-2010 at 05:44 PM.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Well that's definitely not something I would have thought about lol... I gave the hockey puck a good clean and stretched the little springs a bit a while back... I guess I'll try it without any other keys attached and then take a look at the ignition switch... I dunno how to take the cylinder out though, I'll search the forum later.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
in regards to replacing the harness... there is only one way to hook it up.. the right way.. lol.. but seriously, there is only one way for everything to plug in. no two connectors are the same.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Yea, but you're assuming that the connectors are in good condition lol... judging by the condition of the current harness, I wouldn't be surprised if it's missing a few connectors and the cables are just tied together.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 08:00 PM Thread Starter

Well, it turns out that a few connectors aren't the same between the new wiring harness and the old one. Two connectors are left unplugged because of being different and I thought I'd try it and see if it would work anyway, but the start button isn't working.

I started the bike by putting a screwdriver between the starter solenoid contacts, so it does fire up, but the button is doing nothing.

Time to study some wiring diagrams I suppose u_u

I can't believe I thought this was going to be easy lol.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:39 PM

You can use the plug-ins from your old harness if it is a fitment issue, just use butt connectors and shrink tube to splice them on. I think it is just 2 or 3 wires that connect the start button.

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Inspect, clean, and repair your start button. I bet the solder on the wires inside the start button have come un-soldered due to prolonged cranking in the past. the start button is not a very heavy duty switch. just a tiny drop of solder on both wires going into it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

It was working just fine before I tried changing the wiring harness, so I think it has more to do with the wiring than solder points...

The thing is, these two connectors that are different, the old ones have 6 contacts/cables and the new harness only has 3. I don't know exactly what they connect, one of them is beside the coil on the front of the bike and there are I think 5 connectors that are held in place by a metal bracket. One of those 5 is the one that has 6 cables but the new harness only has 3 and the connector is half the size.

The other one is inside the headlamp, goes into the instruments, same problem as the other, it's supposed to have 6 cables on the connector but the new harness only has 3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement